Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hey BERNINA Users: your opinions, please!

You know, when I decided to start looking to upgrade I told myself to be very thorough. Check out Juki, Brother, Janome - really do some research. Then this offer came in my email box and I'm all crazed. LOL I don't want to get "caught up in the moment" either. Thanks for a different perspective!

Note: This was suppose to be a response to just4me - guess I'm out of posting practice. LOL
    Last edited by VickiJ; March 15th, 2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added note
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VickiJ View Post
    I am so grateful for all of your insights. Bottom line is - as I expected - you do get a good quality machine for all that money. LOL

The timing is so weird and like Just4me mentioned - I don't want to get "caught up in the moment" on such a big purchase. I just decided to look into different machines earlier this month and here comes this offer for what I consider a "holy grail" machine that I ordinarily would not have even had in the picture.

I'm not really big on buying things on credit, which is why I was thinking of seeing what I could get in the $600 - $800 range. But 60 months with NO finance charges is kind of a big deal to me.

Sucks that the shop doesn't give the whole month (is March National Quilting MONTH??!) to decide, I don't like the pressure of 5 days only. LOL
    I have purchased almost all of my big machines using the financing option offered by the sewing machine dealers. Also mattresses, air conditioners, lap tops through those home credit companies! It just spreads out your pain ( of parting with your money) over time. You can pay it off completely at any time. The only warning is FINISH PAYING IT OFF BY THE FINAL DATE OF YOUR CONTRACT. If you don't, they will charge you the entire interest for the whole term of the loan! So keep an eye on that ending date to make sure it is completely paid off by then.

And they offer these deals often through the year, so if you miss it now, it could be sweeter sometime in the future!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 15th, 2018 at 04:35 PM.

3. Thanks VickiJ, MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My machine had been used exactly one weekend before I purchased it (Bernina provided the machines for a "Sewapalooza" weekend). Just like how a new car depreciates as soon as it's driven off the lot, my machine was discounted 30% for that one weekend's worth of use (a few thousand stitches). It still came with a full warranty. They also threw in free "luggage" (heavy-duty rolling case for the sewing machine and embroidery module), and the first cleaning was free. Once I had decided that this was the model I wanted, the discounted price and luggage sealed the deal.

5. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 770QE and love it also. If you are not in a hurry, wait for the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season. The last 2 years they gave you a free embroidery module or a 330 sewing machine for free at that time. Start saving now!
    Karen

7. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 750 QE. I really like this machine, and would buy it all over again. But... I'm going to give you the real dirt... IMHO.
    1) this is just an "in general" observation: the needle threader could be designed better.
    2) the machine is a computer. So, when my motherboard went out, the machine would not turn on. *At all* there was nor warning, just one day - pouf and done. The replacement parts were covered under warranty, but I still owed the local shop for their time. This was an acknowledged problem that I believe Bernina has resolved in the newer models. Ask about this at your retailer.
    Other than these two points, I've nothing but good to say about the machine. It's superior to the other machine I was using, in every way.
    Heather

9. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Well this one passed me by. I'm actually glad I let a cooler head prevail. Honestly, I do need a machine upgrade but I was feeling a little too much pressure to make a big decision in a very short period of time.

I honestly don't recall seeing the 60 month no interest deal in the past, but I'm going to keep an eye out and maybe a little further down the line the timing will be better for me.

Again - let me say I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts!

#maybenexttime.
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program?

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just4me View Post
    I have a 5 year old Bernina 710...the base model (now discontinued) for the 7 series machines. The very early ones did have quite a few teething problems and whilst I don't think mine was one of the first early ones it has still certainly given me some frustrating times and has needed parts replaced. I don't like it for quilting. It came with the BSR and even though I am a novice at fmq I found the BSR distracting and I preferred to fmq without it. I've recently decided I will sell my BSR, Westalee Ruler foot and Adaptor shank and the Bernina Walking Foot as I no longer use any of them.

Last year I purchased a Juki TL2010Q and I must say I do prefer it for all aspects of patchwork and quilting. If I had my time over I probably would not have purchased the Bernina....I simply got "caught up in the moment". Having said that, there are heaps of people who are better sewers, seamstresses, and crafters than me and they love them and swear by them....it just wasn't the right machine for me.
    I know this is an old thread, but I was reading it and have a question for just4me. Note that I don't own either machine, but was just curious. Why do you like your Juki better?

I think I would like the Juki better, for the confidence it would bring, because I wouldn't have to worry about a motherboard going out with a 2 year electronic warranty or being discontinued (I keep my machines for a long time). Another reason is I think the throat is more open with the Juki so it's easier to see what you're sewing without risking a sore neck. I also don't like sensors on a machine because they can get finnicky. Are those your primary reasons? ...well those, along with the price! ;-).

Thanks.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

What did you decide to Do? I am at that same point right now. My plan was to spend $700 or $800. I was all set to get the Bernina 330 se, but some quilting friends thought I should consider the 770qe, or another qe machine. Just not sure Im ready to invest that much. Should I just wait altogethe? My little ole $200 20 year old machine has gotten me this far...

Quote Originally Posted by VickiJ View Post
    I am so grateful for all of your insights. Bottom line is - as I expected - you do get a good quality machine for all that money. LOL

The timing is so weird and like Just4me mentioned - I don't want to get "caught up in the moment" on such a big purchase. I just decided to look into different machines earlier this month and here comes this offer for what I consider a "holy grail" machine that I ordinarily would not have even had in the picture.

I'm not really big on buying things on credit, which is why I was thinking of seeing what I could get in the $600 - $800 range. But 60 months with NO finance charges is kind of a big deal to me.

Sucks that the shop doesn't give the whole month (is March National Quilting MONTH??!) to decide, I don't like the pressure of 5 days only. LOL