Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pillowcase dresses??

We have been gifted many yards of fabric to use for pillowcase dresses for Christmas Child boxes this coming year. My cousin, Helen, has experimented by making a couple for her 3 year old niece (who absolutely loves them, btw). The problem is the grosgrain ribbon is fraying after just a couple of washings. She has singed the diagonal cut edges, stitched them and even tied them. We do realize that these dresses have been run through a washer (but not the dryer) and any sent to other parts of the world would most likely be handwashed, but don't want to take a chance.

Any more suggestions? Is one brand/kind better than another. She has only used what can be purchased at JoAnn's, is there another online source?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
    Last edited by dwil23; March 13th, 2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pillowcase dresses??

Have you tried using packaged bias tape binding? We used the double-folded that is about 1/4" wide when folded. We just tied the ends, and that seemed to work.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What about clear nail polish on the cut end - or anti-fray (a glue that I've bought at JoAnns before)?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest bias tape binding as well, there are several charities such as Dress a Girl Around the World that have patterns and guidelines for what works best for them in terms of washing and durability. I have a friend who makes dresses for charity, I could ask her, but you'd probably find it on google first. Anyway, she is always picking up bias tape packets on clearance racks, garage sales, and goodwill stores for the dresses, so thats what im thinking is the recommendation

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Fold it over twice and stitch--like a jeans hem. Or use cording and knot the ends tightly.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another idea is to stitch a seam on a diagonal and turn it in then top stitch. Looks nice an clean.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I will pass all of your ideas along....
    Donna

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use the same fabric and make fabric ties? Stitch the ends closed and stitch down the length of the tie for reinforcement.

Good luck!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on making dresses for the "Little Dresses for Africa" program. A wonderful seamstress named Miss Lillian made over 1200 dresses before she passed away at more than 100 years old. She had a pattern that I thinks works better than the pillowcase dresses. The pattern has simple sleeves. If you look at the Little Dresses website, they prefer that we don't use ribbons since they don't last as well. They recommend using bias tape for the ties if you make the pillowcase style dress, but they also have a free copy of Miss Lillian's pattern available. Either way, bless you for sewing dresses. The Christmas Box program run by Franklin Graham is a wonderful charity.
    Jeanne

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fray Check might work.