Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 x 4 block correction?

Jenny I saw this tutorial and had a lot of red and blue 2.5 inch strips so I decided to make this up as a Quilts of Valor. I sewed the first set of strips together and cut them at 4.5 inches like you said. Then I sewed 2 together and looked and realized it would not work. Before going any further I folded the two together at the seam and cut them at 2.5 inches. I did end up with a 4.5 inch block but the two pieces I cut off were only 2 inches. The same with the second set so rather than getting two 2.5 inch end pieces and two 4.5" pieces I had four two inch pieces and two 4.5 inch squares. So then I cut the next set of strips in 5" pieces and it worked. I turned on the tutorial this morning and watched it again. I noticed when you cut the 4.5" strip off you reached over and picked up a strip of pieces that was already assembled. When you laid it on top it was a half inch short. It should have overlaid the seam by a 1/4 inch. If I am correct and the strips need to be cut at 5 and not at 4.5 is there any way you can correct this. So far it is working with the 5 inch cuts.
    my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 4 x 4 block correction?

MSQC is aware of the error. This comment was added under the YouTube video tutorial :

"Jenny Doan 2 months ago -When I say 4.5 I should have said 5...you need 5 inch cuts! Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I usually use charms and they were automatically 5. I must have had the finished size in my head. Thanks again.
    Pinned by Missouri Star Quilt Company".

There is also a link to download the pattern:https://d2v8skpstyl8bm.cloudfront.ne...+X+4+Final.pdf
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRoy View Post
    MSQC is aware of the error. This comment was added under the YouTube video tutorial :

"Jenny Doan 2 months ago -When I say 4.5 I should have said 5...you need 5 inch cuts! Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I usually use charms and they were automatically 5. I must have had the finished size in my head. Thanks again.
    Pinned by Missouri Star Quilt Company".

There is also a link to download the pattern:https://d2v8skpstyl8bm.cloudfront.ne...+X+4+Final.pdf
    Okay sorry to bother you on it.
    my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

No bother!! just good thing to know.