Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will I have bias problems with diagonal stripe quilt?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kutch.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	151074

I saw this bedspread, and the wide stripes on the 45-degree angle caught my attention. I'm a bit of a newbie. I'm good at geometry and can make a pattern to imitate this look (I'll just be using cotton, by the way), but I'm wondering if I should expect stretch and shape challenges when I go to sew the binding and go to lay this on a bed?

I know this is basic, but I'm trying to prevent any disasters, if possible.

Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Will I have bias problems with diagonal stripe quilt?

If I were making that, I'd keep my pieces rectangle at the edges. Then I'd mark a cutting line and stay-stitch within the line before I trimmed the edges. That's what I do with french braid quilts and it works well. Another thing you might try is to leave extra batting until you stitch the binding on the front, then trim the batting and finish the binding.

3. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It does not look like they were cut on the diagonal, just sewn on the diagonal. They look like they were cut on the straight of grain and sewn on point, so to speak. No bias.

5. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would not hurt to do a stay stitch around the edges or put a narrow border around it.

I enlarged the picture and it looks to me like it's not pieced but rectangles sewn down on a foundation/background fabric.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another question. Are you thinking of just making the top and not a quilt? If so, think about making what some call a Summer Quilt. That's where there is no batting, just the top and the backing. If you are worried about stretching and shifting, just do a stitch in the ditch on all the seams and that will anchor it to the backing fabric.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnightline View Post
    It does not look like they were cut on the diagonal, just sewn on the diagonal. They look like they were cut on the straight of grain and sewn on point, so to speak. No bias.
    Yes. These are not cut on an angle, but simply arranged on an angle. The only bias cuts would be on the side setting triangles. When I do those, I always make a small border to secure those bias edges. If I didn't want a border, I would 'stay stitch' around it.