Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing flannel

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washing flannel

Hi forum friends, I hope all is well with you today. I have a question about flannel. I've never bought flannel before and Joann Fabrics had their flannel marked down so I dove in and bought yardage of this and that. I plan to make receiving blankets and possibly a baby quilt or two. I was wondering if I should wash the flannel first and is it safe to machine wash maybe on a gentle cycle. And what temp to use in the dryer? I have no idea about the shrinkage. New great grand baby is due in Sept. so I thought flannel would be useful. Any pros and cons about flannel is appreciated.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Washing flannel

Yes, definitely wash that Snuggle flannel. You might want to serge or at least zig zag the cut edges to minimize raveling. I would wash on hot and dry on a heat cycle as well, to get as much shrinkage taken care of as possible.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

3. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing as Karen. (Probably learned from Karen!)

Jeannette

5. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. Wash the flannel yardage in hot water and dry on high heat. Wash it whole before you cut it into pieces. And congratulations on the new addition to your family! You must be very excited. I have a great bib pattern for using panels, like Dr Seuss, if you are interested.

7. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto the above comments. I do lots of baby items and I wash all fabric that is used in those projects.
    Trisha
    Coram Deo

9. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the above ... also wash in hot water and dry with high heat! Seems to have worked good for me (also received this information from this forum) ...

11. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with washing the flannel. Used a lot of it when there was a "baby boom" in my world, and I had leftovers from cutting the flannel to the size that Jenny uses for her tutorial. Found this pattern for burp cloths https://so-sew-easy.com/perfect-baby...cloth-pattern/ and it was the best ever. I used inexpensive terry towels for one side with the pretty flannel on the other. Parents just loved them and they matched the receiving blankets. If the new one will be a he....these were well received and "funny" and useful. PeePee TeePees More use for those leftover flannels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dR3EBApWA4 Congrats! PS Wash the toweling first too.
    Last edited by MHG Winnower; March 10th, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

13. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    I agree with washing the flannel. Used a lot of it when there was a "baby boom" in my world, and I had leftovers from cutting the flannel to the size that Jenny uses for her tutorial. Found this pattern for burp cloths https://so-sew-easy.com/perfect-baby...cloth-pattern/ and it was the best ever. I used inexpensive terry towels for one side with the pretty flannel on the other. Parents just loved them and they matched the receiving blankets. If the new one will be a he....these were well received and "funny" and useful. PeePee TeePees More use for those leftover flannels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dR3EBApWA4 Congrats! PS Wash the toweling first too.
    What a clever idea using terry towels. I got my February block magazine and it features baby quilts and has a burp cloth template which I thought about doing a few of them. Thanks to all you ladies for your suggestions.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use terrycloth on the back of my bibs. Thrift stores have them very cheap and usually most are 100% usable, that is not too thin and used up. Dish towels are best, some of the bath towels are pretty thick which makes them hard to turn right side out after sewing them together.

16. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    Here's a pic of what was produced; did a lot for a little guy too, but can't find the pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alina Blankets.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	151092
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

18. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post