Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What DON'T you like about your longarm quilting machine/frame

There are so many options out there. I have a HQ Sweet 16. We have it set up with a suspension system. I have done up to queen size and DH has done a king size. It is a 16" harp and this was not an issue. I do like the a i.ity to FMQ and have gotten better. But I really love using rulers and have quite a collection of HQ and other rulers.

Having said that my DH and I have tested out the HQ Amara. I think it is 20-22" harp. It does come with a variety of length so you can set up what fits your space better. There is a chart on the HQ site that shows how much floor space you should expect to take up with the various machines. Since I have reorganized the family room space, DH really wants an Amara. I have rented for a day to play with it, and see if it would meet our needs. I think I would set up smaller, just because I still want to use the room for other purposes.
    What type of machine were you looking to buy. I guess, test them out as it it a large purchase.

I think the most important thing for us, was the service of our machine. There are 2 dealers within an hour's drive and a 3rd one 3 hours away which brings in some HQ ambassadors for classes. There was another long arm dealer a few hours away, but she c
    Oused shop and now only quilts for others.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    It has the 14 1/2 ". When it comes to quilting patterns, say on my groovy board it's best not to try to go over a 10", maybe 11" pattern before you need to repeat.

What was the feature that you felt was a must?
    The frame with the package deal was the SR2 8 foot, which doesn't have an idle bar - the bar that the quilt goes under before getting rolled up on the back take up bar and keeps the work surface of the quilt level. From what I could tell each time you advanced the quilt you would need to adjust the height of the take up bar. I thought "what a pita" that would be. And was concerned if I upgrade to a frame with the idle bar, then would there be enough throat space to accommodate both bars, or do I need to also get the bigger machine?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I'm disappointed that they no long list any of the frames they sold three years ago. I really liked the Grace Queen design (the one that I currently have). I also noticed they use to have package deals which I could no longer find. I checked the Kathy's Quilt site to see if they offered some of the previous frame designs but they don't either.

I rarely have to change the height of the bar with the design I have. I think what I would do is call Grace and ask them in person about your concern with that bars design. Tell them you want to talk to someone about the SR's bar design. They are actually very good with phone calls :-). I just can't imagine that they would switch over their total design line to something that would require constant changes to the height so maybe there is something we are just not seeing. I agree with your concern.

I'd also keep doing comparisons for the machine and frame between Kathy Quilts and Grace. You'd be getting the exact same thing but with price differences. They constantly seem to flux between the two so you have to stay on it. Also before you order from either ask them about if there are any shipping hold up at the time you are purchasing. (This has occurred on occasion).

Just before you place your order, if you do with either of them, PM me. There are two small parts (particular screws) that I know people have had to replace. Actually I need to call them too to replace those two but I'm been dragging my heels for some unknown reason. (the thread on those two screw types seem to wear down) It's good to have an extra or two in your little tool kit :-) I have to go look up what the part name/size is.

btw, my personal opinion would be to go for the 15R rather then the cheaper 15M if you can.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 2nd hand Bernina frame from a quilting shop,it was like new (it's set up in our garage)and also new Janome 1600p,couldn't afford a big machine,did get the speed control a definite,also got a laser stylus. I've had these for over 2 years so still learning. I still can only do meandering. Would love to get a sure stitch regulator. So I think for a beginner like myself this set up has been good.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the discontinued Start Right frame which is very similar to the SR2 (in my opinion, the SR2 is a "stripped down" version of the Start Right because Grace removed the bar to load the quilt top and you have to use clamps or float the top.) Unless your quilt sandwich is really thick, you don't have to raise the take-up bar every time you advance the quilt. I raise the bar to a height that I can slip my flat hand between the quilt and the machine bed, then sew and advance the quilt until it is almost touching the machine bed, then raise the bar again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    The frame with the package deal was the SR2 8 foot, which doesn't have an idle bar - the bar that the quilt goes under before getting rolled up on the back take up bar and keeps the work surface of the quilt level. From what I could tell each time you advanced the quilt you would need to adjust the height of the take up bar. I thought "what a pita" that would be. And was concerned if I upgrade to a frame with the idle bar, then would there be enough throat space to accommodate both bars, or do I need to also get the bigger machine?
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Viking Platinum 3000 on a 10 frame and I love it, yes I do have robotics and that is pretty much all I use. To lazy to devote the time to learning free motion and besides I bought it to be able to let the machine quilt while I do something else. My only problem was the dealer I bought it from is not real knowledgeable about robotics but thru a FB group I have learned so much and am able to do pretty much what I want with it.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linda mac View Post
    I have a Viking Platinum 3000 on a 10 frame and I love it, yes I do have robotics and that is pretty much all I use. To lazy to devote the time to learning free motion and besides I bought it to be able to let the machine quilt while I do something else. My only problem was the dealer I bought it from is not real knowledgeable about robotics but thru a FB group I have learned so much and am able to do pretty much what I want with it.
    What Facebook page is that??? I am getting a "new to me" long arm setup tomorrow and it will include the computer and I am clueless. One of our local shops is closing and I am buying it from the owner so no classes will be available.