Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Janome MC6600p Quilting Bar

I've had a Janome MC6600p for several years now and love it. I haven't used the quilting bar yet, but have a piece I'd like to do some straight line quilting on so got the quilting bar out and it's super loose. I mean loose to the point of not being secure enough to stay at the width I need it to. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Janome MC6600p Quilting Bar

I have an old Janome MC4800 and the bars I have go in the walking foot. they do not stay well either. sorry.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with your machine, but on my Bernina, I was about to just give up on using the bar because it was always so loose. Lo and behold the other day, I noticed a screw in the back of the foot that I'm supposed to tighten when using the bar! Go figure. It makes perfect sense, but I just never looked at it close enough. Maybe yours has something similar.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I have an old Janome MC4800 and the bars I have go in the walking foot. they do not stay well either. sorry.
    I wrote to Janome on their facebook page and they wrote back asking if I was certain I had it in correctly, so I sent them a pic both with the bar inserted and without. I've not heard anything back yet.

If this is a problem with Janome machines then I'm a bit disappointed because the quality otherwise has been superb. To have such a little thing not work makes no sense.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    I'm not familiar with your machine, but on my Bernina, I was about to just give up on using the bar because it was always so loose. Lo and behold the other day, I noticed a screw in the back of the foot that I'm supposed to tighten when using the bar! Go figure. It makes perfect sense, but I just never looked at it close enough. Maybe yours has something similar.
    I just checked the back and I do see a tiny little screw. I'll try to tighten it and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Viking walking foot bar is loose too. I never thought about a screw, but it certainly makes sense--Why doesn't someone tell us about it. I'll be checking my walking foot tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Just wish my Juki had one. It would be so handy for straight line quilting since I don’t FMQ.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same machine and had the same problem with the bar flopping around when I was trying to sew lines.
    For the longest time I used masking tape around the bar on either side of the hole to keep it in place, one day my DH saw me wrapping the tape and asked me why. When I explained the problem he offered to fix it for me.
    This is what he did.
    On the back of the walking foot is a small screw that holds the steel flap in place. He removed the screw with a small screwdriver from an eye glasses repair kit, then he bent the steel flap down to make the gap where the bar goes narrower, then put it all back together again.
    It now works great! No more floppy bar. Hope this helps.

9. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

screw in the walking foot? if so, i will look at mine. I've only had this machine forever!

11. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!! I'll do this and maybe just tell the Janome people how to fix THEIR quilting bar problem, lol! I really do appreciate the advice!