• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • midwifehc
    Shiny Thimble
    • Apr 2016

Re: Wool Ironing Mats

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
    I just bought one for 10 percent above wholesale. I have used it a couple of times. It stinks when ironed. I assume the stink is from the chemicals. Another downfall. You would not want to use starch on the mat. It doesn't tell you that, but we all know using starch on a regular ironing board can leave residue. So you would still have to have another ironing surface.

I used it several days after starching with no steam and it did well, but stunk. I am not sure is this would be worth full price. You know all this is, is a piece of wool soundproofing insulation that can be purchased at Home Depot or lowes for a fraction of the cost.

Another thing I don't understand about it. We iron on cottons on the cotton setting. If you iron wool, it is a lower setting. Wool is hair so overtime I think would burn.
    The smell is not from chemicals, but rather from the wool itself. This is an animal fiber and when wet it smells like a wet sheep. The smell goes away when dry. My very long-haired dog also smells terrible when wet. As soon as she is dry the smell is gone.

Comment

• JoAnn Neely
      Shiny Thimble
      • Sep 2018

I was wondering if you could felt old wool sweaters to make this wool pressing mat? Any suggestions, please. Thanks

Comment

• dwil23
        Missouri Star
        • May 2012

Since I live in Florida, wool blankets are nonexistent. I took the plunge and bought a mat from Quilt in a Day when they were running a special. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I highly recommend wool pressing mats, it truly does make a difference in pressing your blocks flat. They can be pricey but QIAD runs specials occasionally. I got the 12 x 18 size for less than $40, if I remember correctly.

eta- I have never noticed any unusual odors. I have not used starch on it, but after reading this probably won't.
        Donna

Comment

• geegeequilts
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2015

Jenny has used one on several tutorials so maybe this is a question for our "ask the M* girls".

Gina

Comment

• SuzyQue
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2010

I purchased a wool mat and truly love it! I thought I was pressing my blocks flat, till now. Now I understand what flat honestly is! I would hate to press blocks without it! My mat does smell, like damp wool. I stand it up when I am done for the day, so it dries out thoroughly. Everyone should at least find one to try!!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
              I've read and seen the demo on the wool mats too. I "almost" purchased one but before hitting the "add to cart" button, I recalled I had a 100% wool blanket in storage that we do not use. I decided to test it prior to buying the mat. Yes, there is an amazing difference using the 100% wool as a pressing mat. I was more than pleasantly surprised at how flat the blocks really were. I gave the purchase some major thought after the test and decided to continue to use the wool blanket instead. Why? I saturate my fabric with spray starch prior to cutting and believe the starch probably penetrates the wool as I press the blocks with steam; I can wash the blanket and I am uncertain the mats can be washed plus I imagine there would be shrinkage.

If you do not have a 100% wool blanket or wool fabric to use, I would consider making the purchase.

(FYI, I folded the blanket into several layers (approximately >1" thick) for a pressing mat to fit my ironing surface.)

Hope this info helps.
              Thank you so much for this idea! I already have a Steady Betty, and it was fairly pricey, so I would never have bought the felted wool pressing mat.

Of course, being a Californian, I couldn't imagine that I might own a 100% wool blanket. But then I remembered a treasure that I have tucked away.

My father raced harness horses, and his champion horses had monogrammed blankets. My parents had miniature monogrammed baby blankets made for my brother and me, and I still have mine. What a joy to bring that out of storage and use it in my crafting.

My DH also thought this was wonderful and is so happy to know that this treasure will be used in the making of other treasures.
              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Georgie Girl
                The Guild President
                • Apr 2017

If any one is interested QIAD has them on sale today all 3 sizes 40% off.

Comment

• cv quilter
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

I've been going to get our wool blanket out (harbor freight had for $5 and we bought 3 or 4) and after reading Snowbirds post, I'm going to do it!!! Worth a try.
                  A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• dwil23
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Georgie Girl View Post
                    If any one is interested QIAD has them on sale today all 3 sizes 40% off.
                    Yes! That is the deal I got - a 12 x 18 for $29.97.
                    Donna

Comment

• shawnan
                      Applique Angel
                      • Feb 2011

I ordered one. I think it will be very nice to use.

Nancy
                      Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

• mo_quilting
                        Fabric Fanatic
                        • Jun 2019

Thought I would share, I just picked up this one. I was a little apprehensive but it is perfect!

Comment

• BevW
                          UN-Biased
                          • Jan 2014

I went to Joann's and got some wool off the bolt. (not the felted wool) It was $24 a yard, but I had a 50%-off coupon. It works for me.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BevW View Post
                            I went to Joann's and got some wool off the bolt. (not the felted wool) It was $24 a yard, but I had a 50%-off coupon. It works for me.
                            Will washing it result in a reasonable facsimile [sp?] of felted wool?
                            Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Deegles
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2014

If you are interested in having the affect of wool, buy a wool coat at goodwill and cover your ironing board with the coats dissection. Or make one of several layers of the size mat you desire.
                              When I first got my mat I did not like it, it stunk. The reason it works so well is because of the loft of the pressing surface allows the iron to press the thicker seams into the mat, therefore getting a totally flat press.
                              My routine is forever changed. Finger press the whole block, then press-my block. I love mine so much, I bought one for mom so she can have pressing enjoyment!
                              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• dwil23
                                Missouri Star
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                                Well, I've never heard of them, but since wool and I don't get along I doubt that I'll ever have one.
                                Like you, I don't get along with wool too well, either, BUT I love my wool pressing mat! It really does make a difference. Best price I have seen is at Quilt in a Day when they have a sale. Mine is 12 x 18 and I *think* I paid between $30-35 for it, but can't remember for sure now.

You really don't have to handle it, but I have not had any problems with the wool making my hands itchy like it does with wool fabric.

Maybe someone you know has one and you could test drive it?
                                Donna

Comment

Working...
                                X