Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wool Ironing Mats

I was curious about the wool pressing mats since i didn't feel like my blocks were flat when i pressed them using steam and even worse when i pressed without steam. i also was not ready to spend a lot for one. I read somewhere about using a wool horse blanket, so i went to the local tack shop and picked up a 20 x 20 inch wool pony blanket for $20. I am making Jenny's Granny Square quilt and cannot believe how flat my blocks are! And they stay flat also I used mine quite a bit yesterday and had no issue with odors or anything. I have it next to me on my portable ironing table i made using a snack tray; it is a little larger than the tray, but that's ok. It may not look pretty, but it sure does work. I am glad I bought it!
    Donna

2. Thanks dwil23, cv quilter, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaA127 View Post
    I was curious about the wool pressing mats since i didn't feel like my blocks were flat when i pressed them using steam and even worse when i pressed without steam. i also was not ready to spend a lot for one. I read somewhere about using a wool horse blanket, so i went to the local tack shop and picked up a 20 x 20 inch wool pony blanket for $20. I am making Jenny's Granny Square quilt and cannot believe how flat my blocks are! And they stay flat also I used mine quite a bit yesterday and had no issue with odors or anything. I have it next to me on my portable ironing table i made using a snack tray; it is a little larger than the tray, but that's ok. It may not look pretty, but it sure does work. I am glad I bought it!
    A little off topic. I was looking at Jenny's Granny Squares tutorial this morning. I made one a few years ago the hard way using 2.5 inch squares and it was so tedious. What do you think of Jenny's way and how is it going?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't made this pattern, but from watching the tut., I thought Jenny's way was quick & easy. Why not make a practice block out of scraps & see how it looks & how you feel about it before venturing on the whole quilt. If a person has 2.5" strips left over from bindings from other projects, it would be a good way to use up those scraps.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I haven't made this pattern, but from watching the tut., I thought Jenny's way was quick & easy. Why not make a practice block out of scraps & see how it looks & how you feel about it before venturing on the whole quilt. If a person has 2.5" strips left over from bindings from other projects, it would be a good way to use up those scraps.
    Thanks Joy! The main downside is Jenny's way the points are cut off and look a little rounded, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Was trying to come up with a way to avoid getting rounded corners but so far am drawing a blank.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have one and I positively love it. I sew in my kitchen and at the end of a session, I like to make it look like I didnít sew in there so having an ironing board out doesnít work for me. I went through many countertop ironing boards and broke every one of them.

The mat I have is 24 x 16 which is perfect. If youíre ironing something such as fusible web or spray starch and you want to protect the wool, a regular size pillow case fits over it perfectly. I canít say Iíve seen a difference in ironing but that could be me. (Iím so excited that it canít fall apart that I may have missed that part.) I know itís ergonomically easier and it conducts heat beater than a regular ironing board.

Itís truly one of the better things Iíve bought on my quilting journey.

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Thanks Joy! The main downside is Jenny's way the points are cut off and look a little rounded, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Was trying to come up with a way to avoid getting rounded corners but so far am drawing a blank.
    What if the white strips were cut wider than the print strips, say 3" or 3 1/2" wide? When cutting the strip set into 2 1/2" wide units, the white parts would become rectangles instead of squares. Then you might be able to put the quarter inch line on the ruler on the points of the print squares and cut through the white rectangles diagonally and have enough white for a seam allowance on each half.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

9. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about trying it that way, too. The cut off points kind of bothered me.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MRoy and Dwil23, I will save your great suggestions and experiment. First I have a quilt to finish and I am in full house cleaning mode for baby shower here on Saturday--so won't get to this for awhile. I don't dare start now though now you have given me the itch to! Spent all morning cleaning my sewing room and I can't make anything without pawing thru my stash which you know will mess the room up all over again!!!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 3/8" 100% wool rug pad from ecorugpads.com for my pressing mat. I bought a 2 ft x 6ft pad for $38. I cut it into pieces, one is on my 2 ft x 4ft pressing table and the rest I lay on my ironing board. I love them.
    The regular price is $44.95 but a promo code is listed on the home page for 15% off. Any size smaller than the 2x6 is the same cost so you may as well as get the most bang for the buck and share it or do as I did. Make sure you get the 100% wool pad.
    Karen

13. Thanks Star lover, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IwantItgreen View Post
    I purchased a 3/8" 100% wool rug pad from ecorugpads.com for my pressing mat. I bought a 2 ft x 6ft pad for $38. I cut it into pieces, one is on my 2 ft x 4ft pressing table and the rest I lay on my ironing board. I love them.
    The regular price is $44.95 but a promo code is listed on the home page for 15% off. Any size smaller than the 2x6 is the same cost so you may as well as get the most bang for the buck and share it or do as I did. Make sure you get the 100% wool pad.

Okay, I think you have the winner! I was just coming to post about saddle pads for horses which are 30 x 30 and 1/2" thick for $25 dollars up depending on where you buy them. We ordered one yesterday. But now, I think I want the rug pad that will cover my whole pressing surface! Thanks for the heads up!!

ETA I just ordered one and am wondering what is the best way to cut it down - if I decide to. I may look for a new table to make the best use of it all.
    Last edited by dwil23; July 12th, 2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Donna

15. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post