Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wool Ironing Mats

How can you be sure it is 100% wool? I have a cedar chest full of Pendleton wools purchased by my mom years ago. She made all our coats and blazers for years. I would love to try some wool as a pressing surface.....thinking I would layer several pieces and serge the edges..... or serge a big piece and fold it to make a pad like surface. Is there a way to tell if any of this is 100 % wool?

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.....so I did a little research. I guess you can burn it and look for ash, not melted plastic. Or you can put a scrap into a glass jar of bleach....if it is truly wool, it will completely dissolve. Not sure if I can tell if it is 100% or not, but willing to give it a try. I also looked up Pendleton wools and I guess their claim to fame is virgin wool fabrics. I may give them a call on Monday. Wow! I priced some.....I am sitting on a gold mine! What can I make with wool, besides coats and blazers?

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this link to test for 100% wool: http://threesheepstudio.blogspot.com...is-it-100.html

I was told many years ago that 100% wool will singe and not ignite with an open flame (at this age memory is questionable - LOL) so if it were me, I'd try a small sample outside; heaven forbid the house go up in flames trying this test inside the house!!!

Update:
    I see you already found information on determining if the fabric is 100% wool.

Regarding your question as to what to do with wool. Wool is wonderful for crafting: penny rugs, rug hooking, quilts appliques or even the quilt as a whole). Stacy West of Buttermilk Basin has a website of patterns primarily made of wool. Primitive Gatherings also uses a lot of wools in her patterns.

Wool is my favorite fiber. Enjoy the journey into learning about the fiber and uses.
    Last edited by snowbird; March 9th, 2018 at 08:59 PM.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Even cheaper to try, and on my todo list since I have quite a few of these is:
    100% wool coat that is out of style or not desirable from a thrift store for less than $10. Cut to size, and there ya go.
    Some are thicker than others, and sometime the id tag [what you look for to be sure it's 100% wool] is inside the pocket.

8. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, DeniseSm, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought one for 10 percent above wholesale. I have used it a couple of times. It stinks when ironed. I assume the stink is from the chemicals. Another downfall. You would not want to use starch on the mat. It doesn't tell you that, but we all know using starch on a regular ironing board can leave residue. So you would still have to have another ironing surface.

I used it several days after starching with no steam and it did well, but stunk. I am not sure is this would be worth full price. You know all this is, is a piece of wool soundproofing insulation that can be purchased at Home Depot or lowes for a fraction of the cost.

Another thing I don't understand about it. We iron on cottons on the cotton setting. If you iron wool, it is a lower setting. Wool is hair so overtime I think would burn.
    Last edited by Deegles; March 10th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    I just bought one for 10 percent above wholesale. I have used it a couple of times. It stinks when ironed. I assume the stink is from the chemicals. Another downfall. You would not want to use starch on the mat. It doesn't tell you that, but we all know using starch on a regular ironing board can leave residue. So you would still have to have another ironing surface.

I used it several days after starching with no steam and it did well, but stunk. I am not sure is this would be worth full price. You know all this is, is a piece of wool soundproofing insulation that can be purchased at Home Depot or lowes for a fraction of the cost.

Another thing I don't understand about it. We iron on cottons on the cotton setting. If you iron wool, it is a lower setting. Wool is hair so overtime I think would burn.
    The smell is not from chemicals, but rather from the wool itself. This is an animal fiber and when wet it smells like a wet sheep. The smell goes away when dry. My very long-haired dog also smells terrible when wet. As soon as she is dry the smell is gone.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if you could felt old wool sweaters to make this wool pressing mat? Any suggestions, please. Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since I live in Florida, wool blankets are nonexistent. I took the plunge and bought a mat from Quilt in a Day when they were running a special. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I highly recommend wool pressing mats, it truly does make a difference in pressing your blocks flat. They can be pricey but QIAD runs specials occasionally. I got the 12 x 18 size for less than $40, if I remember correctly.

eta- I have never noticed any unusual odors. I have not used starch on it, but after reading this probably won't.
    Donna

14. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny has used one on several tutorials so maybe this is a question for our "ask the M* girls".

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a wool mat and truly love it! I thought I was pressing my blocks flat, till now. Now I understand what flat honestly is! I would hate to press blocks without it! My mat does smell, like damp wool. I stand it up when I am done for the day, so it dries out thoroughly. Everyone should at least find one to try!!

17. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post