Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuscan Bean Soup

My health insurance company posts a new healthy recipe each month. With so many facing cold and snow this weekend this seemed appropate.

Tuscan Bean Soup
    1/8 pound bacon, chopped
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 cup carrots, washed, peeled, diced
    1 cup onions, diced
    1/2 cup celery, washed, diced
    1 white potato, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
    1-1/2 large red bell peppers, washed, seeded, medium dice
    6 cups white beans, cooked, drained, (you can use canned beans but be sure to drain and rinse before using)
    1-1/2 quarts water
    1 cup whole tomatoes, canned, processed slightly in food processor (or blender)I use my hands or use diced tomatoes
    2 tsp. salt ( Be careful if you use canned beans and tomatoes you may not need to add)
    3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
    3/4 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
    1/2 tsp. rosemary, fresh, washed

1. In a 1-gallon stock pot heat add bacon and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly crisp, stirring constantly. Add oil, carrots, onions, celery, potato, and peppers and sauté until halfway tender, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add beans, water, tomatoes, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and rosemary.
    2. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat. To serve, ladle into individual soup bowls. Serve warm.
    ETC: Serve a moist cornbread and honey butter alongside this soup for a full meal experience.
    Makes 4 quarts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tuscan Bean Soup

Yum. You already had me at tuscan bean soup, but when you add corn bread and honey butter you truly won my heart/stomach.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last week, I made navy bean soup in my Instant Pot......it was fabulous!!! I think start to finish it was 1.5 hours and that was with using dry beans! It could have been done sooner, but MM was still sleeping so I let it cook longer.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds delicious and I usually have all those ingredients on hand.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This recipe sounds YUMMY! We love bean soup and I make it similar to this, but don't use the rosemary. I think that would be a plus to what I make. If I don't start with dry bean I use a combination of white beans, pinto beans, and great northern beans. Sometimes I even add some chicken stock/broth. For the moist cornbread...try adding a 4 oz can of diced green chiles and a can of cream style corn to a Jiffy Corn Bread Mix.. Reduce or delete the milk and put in the one egg. Bake at temp recommended on the box. Check the corn bread by using a toothpick inserted close to the time it says to bake it. If it comes out clean, take it out of the oven and let it set a bit before cutting into it. This is MOIST and so yummy. Honey on top only makes it better.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

6. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cv quilter View Post
    This is MOIST and so yummy. Honey on top only makes it better.
    Try clear Karo syrup on cornbread with some butter....it's the best ever!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

8. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds so good this morning. Now I've decided to make beans and cornbread for supper too.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to try something new and your recipe caught my appetite so, I went to the local store to make sure that I had all the ingredients. I even made sure I had corn meal to make fresh cornbread. The soup simmered through the afternoon giving a nice aroma to my home. Finally, dinner time came. We sat down to this amazing hearty soup. Two hours later and I realized I never made the cornbread. Next snow storm I will have both.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try your corn bread recipe. Always wondered how to do it with the peppers and corn. Thanks.

12. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

This recipe is perfect thank you for sharing it with us. I will definitely give it a try on weekend.