Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for storing WIP pieces for travel

Next week I'm attending my first "formal" quilting class. it's a 3-day class, one day per week over 3 weeks. I'll be making a bargello, and the pre-work is to cut all the strips for the first step. For the first class I will have pre-cut 20 different fabrics mainly in one strip size, plus a lot of different size strips of one background fabric. Since I don't know how far we'll get in the first class, I'm not sure what I'll be carrying home to take back the following week.

I've got transport for tools/notions covered, but I'm not sure what to do about toting all the strips back and forth. Maybe lots of resealable bags, carefully labeled? Or perhaps roll up (jelly roll style) all the colors by size? Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tips for storing WIP pieces for travel

Oh what fun! I think you've got a great idea with the zip lock bags. I'd make sure everything was well labeled. I hope you have a great time, I can't wait to see your quilt!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks Beeje thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Generic wonder clips are really great for keeping everything organized. I use clean empty pizza boxes to transport my fabric to quilting classes. They are stack-able. Since you are doing a bargello I highly recommend flat head flower pins to label everything. Write you number or label right on the flat head flower pins and stick it in the fabric. Warning, the pins do melt so buy the "no melt" flat head flower pins if you think you might accidentally forget and iron over them.

One last tip. Put a fresh blade in your rotary cutter. It will save you so much grief.

Bargello are my favorite kind of quilt. I know you will have so much fun in class.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks Beeje, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Large ziploc bags and masking/painter's tape to label pieces will keep you organized. I also bring a ziploc of any extra fabrics not used, just in case.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

7. Thanks Beeje thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you can adapt this but Laura from SewVeryEasy had a project to hold pieces for transporting

https://youtu.be/3hKypdgP3j8

9. Thanks Beeje, Monique thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder clips, zip lock bags, everything well labeled. I buy plastic storage boxes from Michael's, Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's when they are on sale or with a coupon. They are the big square ones and are great for storing projects or taking them to classes and retreats. I put everything for a class in one of those boxes then I'm good to go.

11. Thanks Beeje thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    I don't know if you can adapt this but Laura from SewVeryEasy had a project to hold pieces for transporting

https://youtu.be/3hKypdgP3j8
    That is a clever idea, reminds me of the travel roll I have for jewelry. I won't have time to make one before the class, but I've saved it for a future project. Thank you for sharing!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I'm off in search of the perfect solution. Will try to remember to post the completed project, assuming it is post-worthy

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Could you pin your strips to a piece of a pool noodle? Maybe this is a crazy idea but I think it may keep them from getting wrinkled.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! In the end I grouped strips by size, added a small label of the dimensions, and used wonder clips to separate groups. Then I put everything in a Sterilite plastic box (that I usually use for carrying salads to picnics!) that has a fold-down, snap-on lid. It worked just fine, and I didn't have to buy anything. Next up is to find a good way to transport notions back and forth to future classes; I came up with something but it wasn't ideal.

As promised, here is the completed bargello top. I'm still learning how to free motion (well, to be honest, I've been practicing for over a year and it's still hopeless, LOL) so I will probably send it out for quilting. I am really happy with the end result; while not perfect, I think it's pretty good for a first attempt. Thank you again for your kind assistance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Completed top outdoors.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	151654