• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carmen Garcia
    Machine Stitcher
    • Mar 2013

nine patch madness tutorial

On this tutorial, Jenny uses four charm packs. Does anyone know what size three charm packs will make? Thank you for your help.
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: nine patch madness tutorial

The standard charm pack has 42 pieces of 5 inch fabric
    1 – Baby quilt
    2 – Crib size quilt
    3 – Lap quilt
    5 – Twin quilt
    8 – Queen quilt
    Both this chart and size list below are from MSQC so should be accurate
    Baby = 36′” x 54″
    Crib = 45″ x 60″
    Lap = 50" x 65"
    Twin = 63″ x 87″
    Double = 78″ x 87″
    Queen= 84″ x 92″
    King = 100″ x 92″
    Last edited by jjkaiser; March 2, 2018, 08:46 PM.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• laura44
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2014

Sorry, can't help you on 3 charm packs, just made one with 2 packs, no borders, 54"x54"

Comment

• shermur
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2013

Carmen.....According to the pattern, the finished block is 13 inches. Each block has 5 color charm pack squares. The original pattern is 81X94 including the border.

So, just calculating the finished blocks with 3 charm packs would be as follows:

3 charm packs is 126 squares total. It takes 5 color/print charm squares and 4 background squares per block. You will use 125 charm squares which will create 25 blocks - 5 blocks across, 5 blocks down.
        Without sashing or borders, and just binding the joined blocks themselves; the finished size would be 65X65!

So, should you want the quilt to be larger? Add sashing and borders! As long as you know what size block you're creating, the math isn't so bad!
        Last edited by shermur; March 3, 2018, 02:59 AM.
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• dwil23
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

Originally posted by shermur View Post
          Carmen.....According to the pattern, the finished block is 13 inches. Each block has 5 color charm pack squares. The original pattern is 81X94 including the border.

So, just calculating the finished blocks with 3 charm packs would be as follows:

3 charm packs is 126 squares total. It takes 5 color/print charm squares and 4 background squares per block. You will use 125 charm squares which will create 25 blocks - 5 blocks across, 5 blocks down.
          Without sashing or borders, and just binding the joined blocks themselves; the finished size would be 65X65!

So, should you want the quilt to be larger? Add sashing and borders! As long as you know what size block you're creating, the math isn't so bad!
          Yes, and if you wanted a rectangular quilt instead of square, you could set it 4 x 6 which would make it 52 x 78 without borders. That would leave you an extra five charms left over (6 total).
          Donna

Comment

• grammaterry
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

You all are so great to do all the math for someone. Me, I just start and when I've used up all the material I have for the project, count the blocks and see how big its going to be...lol
            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
            Terry of NC

Comment

• Carmen Garcia
              Machine Stitcher
              • Mar 2013

Thank you all for your wonderful help.

Comment

• Blondie
                Missouri Star
                • May 2010

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                You all are so great to do all the math for someone. Me, I just start and when I've used up all the material I have for the project, count the blocks and see how big its going to be...lol
                I knew you were a Carolina girl. LOL. We are not only brilliant, we are creative. Not to mention we jump in first and test the water later! haha
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• Magicquilts
                  Applique Angel
                  • Dec 2014

You all are amazing. Thank you all for taking the time to spell it out for those of us who struggle with this type of calculations.

This is one quilt on my to do list.
                  There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon :icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                  X