• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Judy, USMC
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: so annoying....

Anyone here have the last name SIMPSON?
    How about those kids that would call in the middle of the night and ask to talk to Bart ... they thought they were so funny.

Comment

• Tracie T
      The Guild President
      • Sep 2017

OMG.....you are all just cracking me up. I'm sure it wasn't funny for you while it was happening though!
      Tracie

Comment

• Tracie T
        The Guild President
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by MaryD View Post
        A massage parlour at 283 Elgar Road advertised their services in the local paper and it appeared as 382 Elgar Road, which was our home address. For weeks we had strange men turning up at our place hoping for a massage (or more?)

My kids were still at home then and I had a house full of foster kids as well. The bit that really annoyed me though was that they didn't bother coming up the path - they took short cuts over our newly establishing garden
        Geez! That sounded rather dangerous!
        Tracie

Comment

• Astatoo
          The Guild President
          • Sep 2017

A few years back-about 40 now-I was in a college dorm as a freshman and I would get called to the phone-we shared one for each floor-and most often it was some guy asking for a "date" and many times asking what I charged for certain procedures. The other Beth on our floor was the local hooker!

Beth
          Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

• bubba
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2013

The Bon Marche ticket office (back in the day) had the number 475 7292....ours was 475 7291. People wanting to buy tickets would call their number and when they could not get thru, tried calling 7291 instead, thinking they would reach them on a different line. Well, back in 1982, long before caller ID and on my day off, they phone had to have run at least 50 times. Every caller was looking for tickets for a concert coming to town. I called the ticket office and pled with with them to help me and got nowhere. After about the 51st call, I started telling people that the group had booked another show and they just got the tickets in and you needed to buy them in person at the ticket office. Guess who changed their number then! I giggled over that a long time.

My dads number was one off from a plumber and he would get calls all the time! One lady was hysterical about her leaking hot water heater and would not listen to reason as my dad tried to explain to her he was not a plumber and she had the wrong number. She just kept going on and on. Finally he told her he would tell her how to fix the hot water heater and it would cost her nothing......

She promptly hung up when he told her to turn the hot water heater upside down!!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Star lover
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2016

Wow, you're all cracking me up...although not funny when it's happening. We had people,calling for all kinds of pets and pet info. Our number was 1 number off from a local pet shop. People would insist we had a certain kind of animal and would get mad when we'd tell them we weren't a pet shop. We finally got caller I'd and stopped answering. The pet shop recently went out of business, whew.

Our number was also close to a gaming store. We'd get calls all the time from kids, asking about games, etc. one time a young boy called, maybe 10. My son answered and the kid was belligerent and mean when my son kept telling him he had the wrong number. The kid was trying to sell a game to the store. Finally my son, said, yup, we'll take it, come on down.......we had to laugh...

Years ago I would get a phone call from the same guy (he called enough I recognized his voice). Each time he'd ask for a woman....a different name each time. I figured out he was trying to find out my name......so I got a whistle. A big one. He called, asked for ? And I blew. He never called again!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Oh that is not fun.
                We were two numbers switch for the local bus information line for complaints. This was before caller display, so most of the time, we didn't answer the phone.

Then we moved areas and all was good, until a new pizza chain had very similar number from ours. We got fed up with pizza orders, so my son would answer and take their order. They had a 30 minutes guarantee or it's free policy. When the pizza didn't arrive, they would call back and we would say they should check the number. We also had mean fun, and would say that the fridges had been off, but there was no charge for meat the calls eventually stopped and the business closed. I don't think it was our mean-spirited responses, their pizza really wasn't that good. The crust tasted like cardboard.
                Good news, my son did get a job in high school at a pizza place near our home. He had experience taking orders. Hehe
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

I made the mistake of calling a parent one time from my cell phone. All TWO of the phone lines were in use. Anyway, I didn't have the block your number turned on. That parent proceeded to call me anytime of the night for the most stupid things. "X left her sweater on the bus, would you go and make sure she gets it tomorrow."- at 110 at night!

The next evening, I went to the store and relayed what was happening. They gave me a new number, and showed me how to block my number from going out. I never, ever called a parent from my personal phone again.

The child came in a few weeks later, her momma was mad because she couldn't call me anymore and she wanted my new number. I told the little girl, I changed my number because her mother abused the privilege of having my number and if she wanted to call me, to call the school office, they would happily take a message.

Some people!
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• TMP
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2014

For several years a man with a grumpy voice has called my cell asking for Whitney. When you tell him he has the wrong number, he says well maybe you can help me. Its a selling scam. I blocked him every time he would call. He would just call from another number. I finally had enough of it and told him Whiney was dead. He didn't say a thing and hung up. Couple days later from another number he called and ask for Joe. I said hang on Joe isn't here but Whitney is. He has never called back.
                    Teresa
                    Pelham, Alabama
                    War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Carolnnc
                      The Guild President
                      • Oct 2015

My sis & her hubby had this message on their home machine: If you are trying to reach the Social Security office please hang up & dial the correct number which is: 919- ***-***.
                      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

• MSN
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                        My dads number was one off from a plumber and he would get calls all the time! One lady was hysterical about her leaking hot water heater and would not listen to reason as my dad tried to explain to her he was not a plumber and she had the wrong number. She just kept going on and on. Finally he told her he would tell her how to fix the hot water heater and it would cost her nothing......

She promptly hung up when he told her to turn the hot water heater upside down!!
                        Pat, I can guess from whom you got your sense of humor!

Comment

Working...
                        X