Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flannel Backing?

So I have a granddaughter who wants flannel backing on a quilt I just finished piecing. I did not pre-wash the fabric for the top. So will it be ok to use the flannel without pre-washing it? Iím afraid if I do wash it, the top will shrink more than the backing when the finished quilt is finished. If I donít wash the flannel, will it shrink a lot more than the top when the quilt is washed? Iím perplexed!
    Brenda.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flannel Backing?

Flannel usually shrinks a little more than cotton so if you don't have it sandwiched together yet I would definitely wash the flannel but not the top you pieced. You did not say your top was cotton, but I am assuming that it is? Wash the flannel in hot water and dry on high so it will shrink the maximum amount before you put your quilt together. Then after your whole quilt is bound and quilted (finished) wash it in cool water and dry on low. It should turn out fine. I always wash flannel yardage first bc of the shrinkage, but like everything else there's high quality and low quality flannel, and some will shrink more than others.

3. Thanks LindaKay75, toggpine, SuzanneOrleansOntario, GaGa thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Flannel usually shrinks a little more than cotton so if you don't have it sandwiched together yet I would definitely wash the flannel but not the top you pieced. You did not say your top was cotton, but I am assuming that it is? Wash the flannel in hot water and dry on high so it will shrink the maximum amount before you put your quilt together. Then after your whole quilt is bound and quilted (finished) wash it in cool water and dry on low. It should turn out fine. I always wash flannel yardage first bc of the shrinkage, but like everything else there's high quality and low quality flannel, and some will shrink more than others.
    Yes, the top is cotton and (I assume high quality) purchased from a lqs. I think you are right in suggesting washing the flannel. It makes me a little nervous to put so much time and money into the top to risk a disaster when it’s washed the first time! Thanks for responding! I’ve only been quilting 3 years and have only used regular 100% cotton quilting fabric for both tops and backing.
    Brenda.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use flannel backing most times but yes, make sure it is pre-washed.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

6. Thanks GaGa thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above. I'm sure you will be fine. Quality quilting cotton normally shrinks very little. Washing your flannel before quilting is a very good idea.

8. Thanks GaGa thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished a Batik pieced Bar Code Quilt top and did not prewash are they were Jelly Roll strips, all like colors. I backed the quilt with a good quality flannel, not pre washed.. Quilted, did the binding , washed and the quilt turned out beautiful. I had very little shrinkage. I probably got lucky on that one, but I was very pleased.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

10. Thanks GaGa thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

We always recommend prewashing flannel to our JoAnns customers.

Jeanne

12. Thanks LindaKay75, GaGa thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have NOT prewashed good quality flannel many, many times when used as backing with not bad results at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LLLinda View Post
    I have NOT prewashed good quality flannel many, many times when used as backing with not bad results at all.
    What happens if you do not prewash flannel. I like the wrinkled look. Is that all it does?
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    What happens if you do not prewash flannel. I like the wrinkled look. Is that all it does?
    Flannel (especially that of lesser quality) tends to shrink more than woven fabric. I like the wrinkled look too but I didn’t want the fabrics to shrink “unequally” and make the quilt all “out of whack”.
    Brenda.

16. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post