Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aurafil thread and M* thread. Anyone used both of these?

I have been using Coats and Clark thread and the MaxiLock thread for way too long. Started having problems
    with birds nest underneath. So, I purchased some Aurafil thread and WOW! what difference.
    I can't believe I waited so long to switch. The Aurafil flows like silk in my machine. It is so smooth.

My question is: Is the M* thread just as good because Aurafil is expensive?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aurafil thread and M* thread. Anyone used both of these?

I tried M* and while it sews well, it has more lint and is a thicker thread. That thickness translates to having to fill the bobbins more often too. I still prefer the Aurifil. I bought some Superior So Fine 50# because Angela Walters recommended it but haven't tried it yet. Am also waiting to hear from people that have tried the new Craftsy thread. Supposed to be absolutely no lint.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After working my way through 3 spools of M* cotton thread I can say it definitely produces more lint than Coats. I've also used Aurifil and it is very nice but pricey.
    Since retiring I'm sewing so much that I go through spools of Coats thread like crazy, so I've been searching for cotton thread on a cone at a reasonable price. I just received a cone of Connecting Threads cotton so we'll see how that goes.
    I do like M* polyester thread.
    Last edited by chelea; February 23rd, 2018 at 02:45 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that everyone's sewing machine is different, and some machines just don't like some thread manufacturers. With that caveat, here's my opinion:

M* thread is thicker than Aurifil, lintier, and more prone to breakage.

Connecting threads thread is thicker than Aurifil, but seems to be sturdier than M* thread. I only just started a FMQ project using this, but so far it doesn't seem too linty - it's just a little bit harder to thread the needle manually.

Aurifil is thinner, sturdier, and lower lint. If you have the money, go Aurifil. If you need cheaper thread, Connecting Threads thread seems to be a good compromise. M* thread is okay but I don't think I'll buy it again.

I have used Coats and Clark, and it's decent enough. My machine HATES Gutermann, but other people swear by it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you figure the cost per foot/yard of Aurifil, it is cheaper than Coats and Clark. A spool costs more because it holds a lot more thread on it than the other. I always use Aurifil in the top and Superior Bottomline on the bobbin. That stuff is strong and thin and you can get about 3x more thread on the bobbin.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    If you figure the cost per foot/yard of Aurifil, it is cheaper than Coats and Clark. A spool costs more because it holds a lot more thread on it than the other. I always use Aurifil in the top and Superior Bottomline on the bobbin. That stuff is strong and thin and you can get about 3x more thread on the bobbin.

Just what Bubba said is what I learned last year. Once I tried Bottomline in the bobbin, I was a believer. As for the cost of Aurifil, i think is price is reasonable for the amount you get, plus Amazon sometimes has it for $9/spool and several times a year Craftsy has it as low as $6.50.
    Diana Grey

8. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I always used Coats & Clark threads but decided to try M* thread and found out it's just too much lint so I tried Aurifil and I'm sold on it. I just ran out so will order more of that. In meantime I'll use my Coats & Clarks. I say give Aurifil a try, I know you will like it. I don't mind spending a little extra for a better thread and my machine likes it.
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

About 5 years ago, when I purchased my first Babylock sewing machine, the dealer told me to use only the best thread and the best threads are manufactured in Europe -- Germany, Italy, etc. They sold Madiera in their store and that is what I used for a very long time. The I found Aurifil and tried that. I love it!!! I have several different "neutral" colors that I use, but so far, I never seem to empty a spool. It's almost like a little fairy comes along at night and puts more on the spool. Love, love, love it.

Nancy

11. Thanks LindaKay75, MSN, bubba thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I use aurifil for piecing and I use connecting threads for quilting. The connecting is a little more linty but I love their colors and I just clean the bobbin area more often. I love aurifil and as others have said I check amazon regularly and when I find it on sale I buy 3 pr 4.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I like Aurifil, but I recently tried Presencia 60wt for piecing. Really like it and the seams lay flatter. Can fit a lot more on the bobbin, too, which is nice as my Pfaff bobbins seem to run out fast.