Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hot mess

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hot mess

Oh you poor thing. I've been there and done that. And from all my bad experiences I finally learned to first make a practice block and go from there. That has saved me from wasting fabric. I'm sure you'll find use for those blocks. Good luck.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So, glad you could post a pic. I don't know,,,,I think I would sew two halfs together, white to print, make some squares, square them up to smallest size and find a design that pleases you. These are not a loss! Make "lemonade"... Boy, have I done that!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it!. Just sew them into a square. They'll be pretty. Or, you can take a square and use them on each side. You will form a larger square. Wait...that doesn't make very good sense. Take a 5 inch square and sew the triangle s to each edge and it will make another square.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    You can do it!. Just sew them into a square. They'll be pretty. Or, you can take a square and use them on each side. You will form a larger square. Wait...that doesn't make very good sense. Take a 5 inch square and sew the triangle s to each edge and it will make another square.
    somehow I knew you'd have a few suggestions Terry. I actually cut out another set of 10' blocks, because I really did want to do the Tranquil quilt. But my mind has been spinning on how to use these crazy pieces. If anything else comes to mind.....please don't hesitate to rattle my cage.

5. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of suggestions only because I rarely get it right the first time! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol336 View Post
    somehow I knew you'd have a few suggestions Terry. I actually cut out another set of 10' blocks, because I really did want to do the Tranquil quilt. But my mind has been spinning on how to use these crazy pieces. If anything else comes to mind.....please don't hesitate to rattle my cage.

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

If you turn those triangles into hourglass blocks, you're most of the way there to an ohio star quilt:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ohio-star.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	150573
    Jenny has done a tutorial for that, too!

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I was screwing around with a layer cake, and made your block. You can make a quilt from those.
    https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2017...e-alternative/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    I was screwing around with a layer cake, and made your block. You can make a quilt from those.
    https://whatwerks.wordpress.com/2017...e-alternative/
    Cool....thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
    If you turn those triangles into hourglass blocks, you're most of the way there to an ohio star quilt:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ohio-star.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	150573
    Jenny has done a tutorial for that, too!
    Think I might try this....thanks

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

For the life of me I can't come up with the name of the block....just had a aha! moment....it is the hour glass block....but all you have to do is turn the bottom one around and sew to the top one. I made a baby quilt where I put a narrow sashing between them. Yours are going to be really small. I would make a bunch of them and play with how you could use maybe 4 or so to make a bigger block. then put sashing between. Google hourglass block for inspiration.