Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: help!!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default help!!

I just finished sewing a rag quilt using pre-cut jelly roll strips. (one strip across, 40 strips down) When I went to trim ends along the side I discovered that the whole thing was seriously skewed and off square. I used a 1/2 inch guide on my machine so had consistent seam allowances. I trimmed a lot off of the sides to make it better although it is still not perfect and I will now have to add a border to make it as wide as I wanted. What did I do wrong and how can I prevent it from happening again? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help!!

It helps to sew one strip in one direction and the next strip in the opposite direction. They are seldom the same exact length so you will always need to square up the edges.

3. Thanks Vonnie, cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire has it right. If you sew them all the same direction they get seriously wonky.

5. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I sew jelly roll strips (or any other strips) I sew everything up in sets of two strips. Then I trim the uneven ends. Then I sew all the trimmed ends together. That way I don't have to keep track of which way to sew.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks cgshelly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also, make sure you don't pull tightly on the strips as you are sewing them.

Are you pressing your seams as you sew 2 strips together at a time? Donna from Jordan Fabrics suggests laying your strip set down against a ruler (or some straight edge) to make sure the strips have a straight edge, then press.

Also, if you hold one end of a strip set up as you press from the other end, then gradually lay the strip set down as your iron moves toward that end of the strip it should help keep your strips straight. This, again, from Jordan Fabrics.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

9. Thanks cgshelly, Vonnie thanked for this post