Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuesday Trivia: Olympics

1. The first Olympic Games took place in the 8th century B.C. in Olympia, Greece. They were held every four years for 12 centuries. Then, in the 4th century A.D., all pagan festivals were banned by Emperor Theodosius I and the Olympics were no more.

2. However, the athletic tradition was resurrected about 1500 years later: The first modern Olympics were held in 1896 in Greece.

3. In ancient Greece, athletes didn’t worry about sponsorship, protection, or fashion – they competed naked. ( not for the squeamish!)

4. Back then, the games lasted five or six months.

5. Women have been allowed to compete in the Olympics since 1900.

6. From 1924-1992, the Winter and the Summer Olympics took place in the same year. Now, they’re on separate cycles and alternate every two years.

7. Only four athletes have won medals in both the Winter and the Summer Olympics. Only one of them, Christa Ludinger-Rothenburger, won medals in the same year.

Attachment 150288. Attachment 150289

At the Winter Games (1988) in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, she won the gold medal in the 1000 m speed skating event and silver in the 500 m. Seven months later, she won the silver medal in the (1000 m) sprint in track cycling at the Summer Games in Seoul, South Korea.

8. During the 2012 London Games, the Olympic Village required 165,000 towels for a bit more than two weeks of activity.

9. The official languages of the games are English and French, complemented by the official language of the host country.

10. Tarzan competed in the Olympics: Johnny Weissmuller, an athlete-turned-actor who played Tarzan in 12 movies, won five gold medals in swimming in the 1920s.

Attachment 150286
    Anita

2. Thanks NanaMaggie, grammaterry, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tuesday Trivia: Olympics

I'll add a little trivia to this if it's okay I watched a documentary the other day on Duke Kahanamoku who was also a good friend of Johnny Weissmuller.He was an Olympian too in swimming.

https://heavy.com/news/2015/08/duke-...h-wife-statue/

Lorie

4. Thanks Star lover, Sylvia H, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I will also add a little here:

Clara Hughes, (born September 27, 1972) is a Canadian cyclist and speed skater who has won multiple Olympic medals in both sports. Hughes won two bronze in the 1996 Summer Olympics and four medals (one gold, one silver, two bronze) over the course of three Winter Olympics. She is tied with Cindy Klassen as the Canadian with the most Olympic medals, with six medals total.[3]
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you girls are up on your Olympic trivia. I watched last night for a time. Looked really cold

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ya gotta love that Chloe Kim who won gold in the women's half-pipe event last night. I hope Shawn White also nails it for the men's.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post