Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Vow of Silence?

This isn't about dogs, dog breeds or dog temperaments. I believe all dogs start out good & an uninformed owner plus poor training can ruin a dog.

We are getting a puppy. (pictures will be shown on Valentine's Day) We decided on the breed because we had one as a rescue in the early 80's & she was a sweet & loyal dog. Our new puppy is a Doberman & we've named him Ryker. Anyone see where this is going?

We were at MIL's house yesterday & I stupidly said we're getting a Dobie puppy. MIL immediately said, "Oh my god, those are mean & vicious dogs." (from a woman who's poodle tried to bite me TWICE)

DH's aunt who was there said, Her daughter had a Dobie. "Don't you remember it bit her son."

DH's uncle spoke up and said was bitten on the hand by a Dobie someone gave him. "It was a mean dog & he shot it."

I also mentioned to the lady who lives across the street we were getting a puppy. She wanted to know what kind (I was honest). She runs a home daycare. She said, "please don't let that dog get loose & attack one of my kids.

I remember as a child being told that if you can't say something nice then lock your lips & hold your tongue. Lately I feel like 9 times out of 10 when I try to carry on a conversation with someone they have a negative attitude or comment. I am perplexed that these people don't realize how they sound.

It's really discouraging when you have something exciting to share & you get a bucket of ice water in the face!

I told DH I was going to stop trying to have conversations with people. I'm going to be the little old lady who just nods & smiles.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Vow of Silence?

We had a rescue Rottweiler and she was the most loving/caring dog ever. I was scared when we got her because of all the horror stories, but DH said if we treat her right and train her we would have the most loving dog ever. He was right. Never worried about her with the grandbabies. If the baby was napping on the couch (when he was tiny) she would lay right next to the couch and pop her head up whenever the baby moved or even made some little noise. I knew to check on baby.
    So have fun with your new puppy and train it well. Dobermans can be very loving too.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

May I please jump on your bandwagon? I promise not to say anything about your adorable little puppy, except something like "May I cuddle?"
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

One of my "grand-dogs" is a rescue Rottweiler, and he's the most gentle and laid back dog ever. When my grandson was born, there was never the slightest indication there was any jealousy. He's very protective and a totally wonderful dog.

8. Thanks Carolnnc, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had a mini dobey. He was an adorable pup and grew into the most protective dog I've ever had. There wasn't a man that could come into our house. All he would do is bark, but he wouldn't shut up! My son has his "this is My Momma, you stay away" growl on his phone. It's fun to see people turn around when it rings.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

10. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when dobermans had the same reputation as the pit bull does now. I haven't owned a dobie but know several people who have. They were gentle and loving dogs. Congrats on the addition to your family. Enjoy that new pup.

12. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I rescued a Doberman years ago (Laser). He fell in love with me and was the most obedient dog I ever had. Good luck with your new pup.

14. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had some drug dealers on our street ( serious stuff ) and they had two that they would let loose and chase people back into their houses. I'm only saying this because of the drugs and they probably trained them to be like that. I've been around other Dobies ( not very many) and they were really sweet. We have a lot of Pit bulls here and they have been sweet too. My dd's dog was half pit and was here 7 years. He was afraid of the beach. lol

Maybe take the pup around to the neighbors and introduce him/her so they see how cute and friendly they can be. And yea little dogs are cute but bite and snap without notice.

Lorie

16. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

We have owned and raised 3 dobermans in the past and they are one of the smartest, most loyal dogs around. Ours had a similar temperament to labs and we consider one of them as our "once in a lifetime dog". When the breed originated they were raised to be more aggressive based on the job did. These days most good breeder have bred them to more of a family type dog. I wish you all the best with your new family member and look forward to seeing all your pictures. (feel free to share them anytime!!)

18. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, congratulations on your new doggie. I agree,
    proper training is important when getting a new dog.
    Hope you have many happy years together!

20. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post