Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pinwheel block size

Hello everyone. I need to ask my forum friends a question about the pinwheel block sizing. I need to make 7" pinwheels, finished size. What block size should I start with? I could do sample blocks until I get 7" finished pinwheel but hoping you will have an answer for me. Thank you.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

3. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pinwheel block size

Thank you Anita. Looks like I'd need to cut 7 1/2" block to get a 7" finished pinwheel. I should have been able to figure that out, duh. Sometimes I have lazy brain.
    I noticed her pinwheel method is different from Jenny's and I'll give it a try.
    Linda

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, that's not right either. Maybe by her method it is but Jenny's method it isn't. Still got to figure this out. Any further help? Thank you.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny's method = cut 5 7/8" squares for a 7" finished block. I would probably cut mine 6" and then trim it all up at the end.

Cut out some paper squares and sew them to make sure the calculations are right. Write the cut measurements on the paper so you'll have a handy guide. I do this all the time.

8. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    Jenny's method = cut 5 7/8" squares for a 7" finished block. I would probably cut mine 6" and then trim it all up at the end.

Cut out some paper squares and sew them to make sure the calculations are right. Write the cut measurements on the paper so you'll have a handy guide. I do this all the time.
    Thank you Snippet. I started with a 6 1/4" block and then cut it to 7" for my finished block. I first tried the 5 7/8" block but I find my 1/4" seam is off. Didn't think of the paper, duh. I'm making too big a deal out of this so my thinking is off. I need to leave it for a while.
    Linda