Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Being Volunteered!

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I'd quit going!
    Me too! I am very selfish with my time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just say no is good advice, I also like the clip board and sign up sheet. I'm learning to just say no when it isn't something I really enjoy/want to do. It is hard, but you can do it. We're behind you and we all can't be wrong, can we? Good Luck

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think we all like being noticed for our talents, and getting volunteered is a type of this compliment. It can be hard to turn down, but you have to. Do it immediately, don't wait until after accepting the tasks. Thank them and say no.

If someone keep volunteering you, don't hesitate to volunteer them for tasks they can accomplish. Don't be mean and volunteer them for things they can't do.

I'd bring the things needed to kit the iron caddys to the next meeting and get the entire group to help cut and kit the items. If it can't be done at the meeting, get someone else to kit it.

Make a list and have it handy to rattle off to prove you have been more than accommodating to the guild.

It sounds like your guild needs to assign duties to all the members. It truly makes it easier when you have one person who is in charge of monthly workshops, raffles, food, photography, charity projects, websites, newsletters, membership, etc.

But most of all, stop accepting their tasks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same thing happen with a crafting group. Handled it very simply by saying "I'm quickly achieving BurnOut. I have fun and enjoy doing the projects but there comes a point in time where researching and organizing can become overwhelming ... and I think I'm reaching that point. I also feel like I might be suppressing the creativity that some of you may have. I have too many projects going right now and wanted to let you know that I can't afford to volunteer until the ones I have going now are finished. After that I'll probably limit myself to only ONE project a month."

Then I would add specifics like: Some of you may have the time and enjoy shopping and cutting ... you would be perfect for making the kits. If you like researching on the internet if would be great if you would select projects where YOU to present the instruction.

Backing graciously out of being an involuntary "volunteer" is tricky. But it already looks like your plate is full (tell them what you already have going if they don't know) and most will understand. Fingers crossed!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You have no problem saying yes, that is obvious. You just need to learn to say no!

BTW, this might help some, I made an iron caddy from this free pattern.

http://tricountyquilters.weebly.com/..._caddytote.pdf
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

6. Thanks snippet thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same thing happen with a crafting group. Handled it very simply by saying "I'm quickly achieving BurnOut. I have fun and enjoy doing the projects but there comes a point in time where researching and organizing can become overwhelming ... and I think I'm reaching that point. I also feel like I might be suppressing the creativity that some of you may have. I have too many projects going right now and wanted to let you know that I can't afford to volunteer until the ones I have going now are finished. After that I'll probably limit myself to only ONE project a month." (Nice way of saying I've had enough!)

Then I would add specifics like: Some of you may have the time and enjoy shopping and cutting ... you would be perfect for making the kits. If you like researching on the internet if would be great if you would select projects where YOU to present the instruction.

Backing graciously out of being an involuntary "volunteer" is tricky. But it already looks like your plate is full (tell them what you already have going if they don't know) and most will understand - but some won't no matter what you say. Fingers crossed!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

You have received really good advice here, and yes, when it is spoiling the fun of belonging to the group, it is time to stand up for yourself.

Two thoughts: first, that you must be incredibly talented, both with your sewing and as a teacher, or you wouldn't be so popular.

Second, I don't know your group, but unless it is awfully small and cliquish, chances are one (or a few) person (people) is causing the problem. In most groups there are some that are either too shy or lacking confidence who could and might be persuaded to take on tasks if someone took the time to notice them and what they do well. Yes, acknowledging, encouraging, and mentoring someone takes time too, but so worth it.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have found there are always other that take "our" time with "their" needs. Take this person that volunteers you aside and let her know you don't want to be volunteered anymore. If you offer that is your decision to make if it fits your schedule. Be clear with your needs.

Yes, to others helping with kits for the caddies. Are they paying for the supplies?

It is easy to be caught off guard at meetings but a pleasant response might be "I'm flattered that you volunteered me however I can not commit to your request". Practice saying it (or something close) so it becomes familiar and it will get easier.

Good luck!

10. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There is a known percentage in groups like these and churches also: 20% of the people do the work, and 80% enjoy the benefits, so sad, the work should be spread around to all 100%, everyone can do something well.

12. Thanks quiltingaway, snippet, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Surely sounds like you are a generous and talented individual. If you keep giving away yourself, there will be nothing left for you to enjoy! Learn to say "NO" and stick to it and maybe try to showcase in the discussion the talents of other members. It isn't unkind or mean or lack of generosity, it is kindness to yourself. Or, maybe you should start "charging" them $$s for teaching. Our Guild does bring in outsiders who charge for sharing their talents and some of our super folks will do a workshop for free, but there is absolutely "no" pressure or taking advantage of their great talents.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown