Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you?

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you?

I am a picture taker... and record on the back of it the fabric and block names. Sometimes the date I started & finished..
    Not a real accurate record, but it is better than not recording anything.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a binder with plastic sleeves containing a picture, scraps of fabric, pre-cut labels, the pattern if I used one, a copy of my quilt label, notes, receipts (maybe I should destroy the evidence). During the year I just stuff it all in a folder and that's my New Year's day project...organizing it all.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a binder style note book with plastic sleeves that I keep pictures, and notes on each project in.
    No matter which machines I use, the binder stays on the shelf.
    I add each project as they are finished when I put the stuff away to make room for the next project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I photo document all that I make. Or at least try to. Only notes are if I increased or decreased a size.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well years ago (about the time of my first quilt) I bought a "journal." It was made for quilts, but not really a journal. It has envelopes with info printed on the front. You fill in whatever you want, include photo, fabric samples, etc. there's a pocket to store patterns, etc. it came in a binder. I bought 2. They are full and are no longer made. So I'm gonna have to figure something out.

Attachment 150054

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a journal of my quilts and have for years.
    I include info on the original pattern/author.
    Notes on cutting size of blocks. If I used a border/cut size.
    I include enough info if I/someone wanted to piece the
    quilt they could follow my instructions.
    I note who the LAQ was. The finished size.
    At the bottom of the page I note who received the quilt,
    and mention the occasion/birth, Xmas gift, birthday, etc.
    If it was a birth, I mention babies name and birth date
    along with the parents name. I also in a picture
    if the quilt which is stapled on the back.
    If it is my quilt pattern I wined up on graph paper
    I also staple the pattern to the back of the entry.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you guys are so organized. I took pictures of every shriner quilt that you all sent and that I made. They were on my old computer. So, now I don't have them...remember my technology challenges. Anyway, I'm doing well just to put my name and date on the quilt. I never did that before I met you all so now, maybe I'll have to rethink this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No, but I usually take a picture.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that detailed. I do take pics of every quilt. Of recent months, I've been keeping a notebook where I draw out the dimensions of the quilt top, figure out how much binding & backing, etc. I write the name of the quilt in the center & the date I finish it. I have a notebook of graph paper where I've drawn out patterns. A few I have kept scraps of the fabrics, etc. Nothing is in one large notebook, but I do sort of keep track. I suppose the albums I've posted on the Forum are a type of journal as well. At last count, I think had posted at least 35 albums. Some albums have more than 1 quilt in them if I used the same pattern or if they were panel quilts. It's been quite a journey.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Star lover View Post
    Well years ago (about the time of my first quilt) I bought a "journal." It was made for quilts, but not really a journal. It has envelopes with info printed on the front. You fill in whatever you want, include photo, fabric samples, etc. there's a pocket to store patterns, etc. it came in a binder. I bought 2. They are full and are no longer made. So I'm gonna have to figure something out.

Attachment 150054
    Do you have one left that's not filled out? You could photocopy it and slip it into a page protector with the pattern or swatches. If you don't have any more blank ones, you could recreate it in Word or Excel and print them off as you need them.

11. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post