Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jordan Fabric

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jordan Fabric

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I am glad you found what you needed and that they had good customer service, however, I'm not certain your comments of comparison were appropriate on a forum that is provided for you at no charge with no advertising whatso ever to impend upon our conversations. I am always amazed that the competitors names are not redacted from our posts but the Doans must realize that competition is healthy. We are blessed to be part of this great forum.
    I'm in the UK so have no experience of M* shipping costs etc - waaay too expensive to ship from whichever company the fabric is from. However, re 'advertising' - Jenny often/nearly always says this pattern is by --- and the fabric is by---. I think that's 'advertising'! No?

2. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I am glad you found what you needed and that they had good customer service, however, I'm not certain your comments of comparison were appropriate on a forum that is provided for you at no charge with no advertising whatso ever to impend upon our conversations. I am always amazed that the competitors names are not redacted from our posts but the Doans must realize that competition is healthy. We are blessed to be part of this great forum.
    Thanks Terry. You are right on. I'm glad the OP had a good experience at Jordan's but there is really no room here for M* bashing or comparisons. I think this forum motto is to "BE KIND - for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." It's time to stop the negativity and move forward. M* has turned a corner. We should too.

4. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny often/nearly always says this pattern is by --- and the fabric is by---. I think that's 'advertising'! No?
    Not exactly. It's called giving proper credit to the author/creator/source.

6. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewUK View Post
    I'm in the UK so have no experience of M* shipping costs etc - waaay too expensive to ship from whichever company the fabric is from. However, re 'advertising' - Jenny often/nearly always says this pattern is by --- and the fabric is by---. I think that's 'advertising'! No?
    She says those things in her videos, not in the "Forum" though. I believe Grammaterry meant that the "Forum" does not have any advertising.

Although I would add, "word of mouth" is the strongest form of advertising (whether good or constructive criticism), and we as forum members do that a lot with quite a few vendors, not just MSQ.

And yes it is a form of advertising in Jenny's videos, as she has those fabrics and usually the pattern for sale with a link to her shop's website. She is advertising her business, and rightfully so! MSQ could rightfully place advertisements in this forum, since they own it, and provide it to us for free, but I'm glad they don't.

So the big question is, out of respect for MSQ and this forum they provide, should we stop mentioning any other websites that sell fabric, thread, rotary cutters, scissors, quilting services, etc? I think if MSQ was concerned with the competition stealing us away completely, then they wouldn't have the "look what I found" category here.

I agree, we shouldn't "bash" ANYONE, but constructive criticism or "wish they would" ideas can be helpful to a business. After all, if we don't tell 'em, how do they know what it'll take to get us to shop with them instead of somewhere else?

8. Thanks Stitches23, Midge, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason Jenny mentions the name of the fabrics & gives credit is because so many people who watch the tutorials will want to make their quilt out of the same fabrics she uses. If I remember correctly, when Jenny tells the story of how M* got started, it had to do with her early tutorials & people wanting to use the same fabrics she used, so M* started selling the pre-cuts. The business took off from there.

10. Thanks lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been a customer of Jordan fabrics, but I do enjoy their videos while I sew as I do videos of many other well known quilters, Angela Walters for example. I think Jenny’s videos provide a greater range of ideas for design and approaches to color and fabric choice. So I do find Jenny’s videos to be more useful to me personally. Also I guess since Jenny’s tutorials are what inspired me to give quilting a try, and since I am so thrilled and happy with my new(ish) hobby, I feel more drawn to what M* will create next. There is lots of room in the quilting world for all kinds of tastes. I’m not really drawn to batiks.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading this thread and I wanted to add that I am glad that Jordan Fabrics was shared here on this forum.( The definition of forum is: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. ) I follow Jenny Doan and I also follow Donna Jordan. I have shopped at both stores. I try to take a step back and see the whole picture when there are differing views. What MSQC offers is a very broad collection of merchandise and what the Jordans offer is a particular niche of fabrics and precut kits. There is definitely room for both competitors in this huge quilting market that we enjoy today. I have several dear friends that really like to shop with the Jordans because all the selection of fabrics and cutting is done for them. They have very debilitating RA and would not be able to continue their quilting passion without this business. Both Jenny and Donna promote their business and also share unselfishly of their time and expertise. I am very thankful for both businesses. Terry, I do understand the point you were making but I don't think to share an experience about another shop is in any way being unloyal to MSQC.
    Trisha
    Coram Deo

13. Thanks Claire Hallman, Midge, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are several terrific quilt shops out there. Service is important. M* doesn't need to be defended but they probably have more shipping per day than Jordan Fabrics -- and remember not only did its business keep the Hamilton post office in business but it created the need for more jobs there and throughout the town. So that's a lot of cutting and shipping -- not to mention the foot traffic they get at their stores.

From a logistics perspective their operation is amazing! I wonder how their new shipping process compares to Amazon.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b