Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Border help?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Border help?

Dear quilters,

My sister has tried to reduce her stash by increasing mine. She sent me a large box with unfinished projects. Although I am grateful to her, this is overwhelming for the beginner that I am.

One envelope contained about 100 or so 5 inch squares of colorful fabric. So I tried to reduce the number I had by making this quilt. However, although there is a balance of red and blue colors, it seem very busy and needs taming.

Do you have suggestions? A border of some sort? Colors?

You are an amazing, generous group! In advance, thanks for any and all suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180129_123424 smallest.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	149871
    Last edited by SF Jen; January 29th, 2018 at 08:10 PM.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Border help?

Yes, a pretty red or blue border would be nice. If you have enough of one of those prints in the squares, that would be good. Otherwise, probably just a solid color would look fine. Or, a narrow blue and a wider red.

4. Thanks SF Jen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A narrow border in a neutral color (white or off-white - whatever matches or coordinates with your squares), then a wider border of a solid would really set it off. You did a great job.

6. Thanks SF Jen, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make a lot of scrap quilts and find that a little black and white really calms the wildness down. Do you have any b/w jelly roll strips you could audition next to the quilt? Another possibility is newsprint fabric which I love to use, and always have on hand, because it seems to go with everything (except dainty florals and stark white) it is usually actually black and cream rather than white white. If you could pair up some auditioned samples and take some more photos I would love to vote! This is always a fun yet exasperating part making this final decision. I love your quilt though and you are doing a really great job on it.

I just took another look at your picture and a thought came to mind...If you could find a very narrow stripe, one blue/white one red/white. Cut them so your stripes will be horizontal. Put the two blue/white ones on the red sides and the red/white ones on the two blue sides, to kind of balance out the color. I have some red/white with a strong red wave in it I could send you but I don't have the corresponding fabric in blue, and I really think if you are going that route the two fabrics would have to mirror each other or it wouldn't look right. Just something else to think about!
    Last edited by jjkaiser; January 30th, 2018 at 12:01 AM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

A stop border (narrow) then a pieced border with more of the prints might look nice?
    You could even cut some squares in half and sew them together in a braid-like configuration for the outer border.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How about a narrow border of navy blue? Cut strips 1.5" wide, so it finishes at 1". Then a 2-3" outer border of light blue?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    A stop border (narrow) then a pieced border with more of the prints might look nice?
    You could even cut some squares in half and sew them together in a braid-like configuration for the outer border.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    A narrow border in a neutral color (white or off-white - whatever matches or coordinates with your squares), then a wider border of a solid would really set it off. You did a great job.
    Ditto what Cokie said

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Everyone!

The addition of two borders, one narrower than the other is something I hadn't thought about. I'll grab some more scraps and try each of your suggestions.

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions!

Here are some possibilities:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bblw.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	149997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brlb.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	149998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bwlb.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	149999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lb.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	150000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbbw.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	150001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blcr.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	150002

1-6 possibilities...I think the first one: small white border with larger black border may be a possibility.

Thanks for any additional thoughts,too.

SF Jen

15. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post