Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question MSQC Bias Tape Makers- Which one?

I usually use a jelly roll to make my bias tape but now wish to use yardage so I am wondering which bias tape maker size would be best for me to use? I see they have 3 different sizes.
    Should i use a more narrow one for a baby quilt with a minky backing? I also make Queen size quilts.. Anyone have some advice for me?

Cheryl

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MSQC Bias Tape Makers- Which one?

Before attempting to answer your question, I need to point out to you that by using jelly rolls, you are not making "bias" tape.

Bias tape is made from cutting the fabrics on the bias (45 degree angle), jelly rolls are cut following the grain (from selvedge edge to selvedge end). By cutting true bias strips, the strips will be much more stretchy than jelly roll strips.

Now with that out of the way, I find trying to use straight of grain strips with a bias maker extremely cumbersome. For me, the fabric didn't want to feed thru properly and would shift out of wack.

If you decide to try using true bias strips, then the choice of size is up to your preference. Myself, I almost always use 2 1/2 inch strips just because that what I like the finished look. I've never worked with minky, so not sure what size would look best or be easiest to work with.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The size will depend on the finished width you want.

I use WOF pieces all the time with the tape makers as they are generally for straps or accents on projects. I cut just a little smaller than the directions. Starch and press fabric too. Cut points on the end of fabric. This helps get it started through the maker. Iron as it comes out folded. Watch as it gets folded and adjust fabric if needed so it comes out okay.

Check the questions here about tape sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...ask_ql_qlh_hza
    Last edited by Rhonda K; January 26th, 2018 at 11:59 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	149815I use the 2" bias tape maker to make my straps for my bags. I add the interfacing as I fold the fabric and iron it into the 2" strip. Then I fold that down to 1" and sew the edges. So fast and saves my fingers from being burned by the steam iron. I've had that thing for years and just found a new use for it.

Excuse the sorry mess of the ironing board cover!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 27th, 2018 at 01:00 PM.