Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I do?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default What can I do?

What can I do for a friend who is so over medicated. She can not think clearly, sleeps through her alarm and phone, forgets she needs to go to work or go to Dr. appts. She sees so many Drs and researches "symptoms" she is experiencing on line then manages to find a Dr. that will confirm this and give her even more meds. She needs help but since I am not in the medical field and she is she will take no advice from me, just looks at me like I am totally stupid or blows up.
    Has anyone had to deal with this and/or have advice for me?

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What can I do?

Oh Beth I wish I did have advise for you. What a dear friend you are. I'm sure someone here will help you. In the meantime I will pray for your friend that she sees what a good friend you are and will get help.

3. Thanks Astatoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

is there any way you can get to her pills and make a list of what she is taking and how much? If so, make an appointment for you with her current doctor and discuss your concerns with them. they of course can't discuss her treatments with you but they can listen to your concerns and take action. I had to do this with my mother. It wasn't easy and she was REALLY mad but it may have saved her life. When she was out of her funk she understood why I did it and quit being mad.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a good idea for you, but this describes my sister to a "T" Our family has tried to help her for years, but each time we take a positive step we lose ground backwards. Right now she is so mad at me just because I asked for a list of the meds she takes from all of her doctors. She is old enough (64) to take care of her own business, but if something happens we wouldn't even know what drugs she takes. When she used to visit me she would take a handful of pills out of her pocket and pop a few in her mouth. This scared me to death, what if the grandkids saw her do this and wanted to investigate? I told her to put those pills in a container or don't come over, she didn't come over. Wishing you luck with this issue, hoping you are more successful than I am.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My mother is 82 and has been "sick" & two minutes from dying for as long as I can remember. My sister who is 61 is the same way. They both run from doctor to doctor & are angry when the doctor doesn't co-operate with them. Long ago I tried to reason with them but realized I can not help them. They truly & sincerely think they have a different illness each week.

Your friends reality is that something is wrong & you can't change her mind. She probably won't seek professional help because to her it's a physical issue not a mental issue.

DH comes from a family of alcohol & drug addiction. His comment after he read this is "some people just like being on something".
    I guess opinions come from life experiences & mine & his life experience is vastly different.

She is lucky to have a friend like you who truly cares.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of getting a list of meds and dosage but I would go to her family (primary) doctor and show him the list and tell him how she is acting, hopefully he is a good doc and will do something about it.
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that there is anything that you can do. I'm probably not the best one to offer advice as it's a major pet peeve of mine. I do feel that many people do over medicate more and more each year. Many of these medications don't play nice together and often seem to cause other "symptoms" as side effects. Then the doctors just prescribe something for those "symptoms" and the list goes on and on. Very sad, IMO.

About 6 months ago I stopped by to a neighbor "friend" (yes I did mention her recently in another thread) and she was standing in her kitchen with a far out stare, could not remember what she was saying from one sentence to another (literally), if she moved around she got upset because she could not remember why she moved or where she was going. She continually talked about being distressed that she had Alsheimers (something her sister has and she is terrified of). I was aghast at the truly terrible state she was in and it was downright scary. She would then mention that she had to go someplace in her car. Yes, I did nix that on no uncertain terms.

She had within the last two months switched doctors and the new dr was taking her off all her meds (yes and she takes many). Some I suspect she needs and others not. We're talking at least 13 meds some several times a day. She does not get along with her new doctor and from what she had told me I wouldn't go near that doctor if my life depended on it. Her main concern in the state she was in was that she had the alsheimers though. I attempted to talk to her about how her symptoms were occurring since she was taken off all her meds and she had shown NO signs of alsheimers previous to this and that the disease does not occur with a rapid downslide they she is displaying. Because she was so scared at this point I was able to have her show me her meds and what each was for. I wrote it down and when I went home I researched the side effects on each one and the indications if there is rapid withdrawal from them. (While I was there her other "best friend" had come, Idiscussed it with her and left her with the women. Frankly I found it all too distressing and at this stage I thought the other friend was the better one to sit with her to assure she did not get in her car). The next day she appeared a little better so I discussed with her the drugs and counter indications and also discussed with her the benefits of perhaps changing doctors. Turned out she had heard about the one I go to that I do have some confidence in. He tends to recommend various life style changes as oppose to every drug that is the current fad. He never would have taken her off so many drugs so rapidly.

At any rate she is ok now, granted there I some drugs she does need but a lot of the odd symptoms have stopped.

btw, my sister who is a nurse is also in this category. I recall her taking every drug that came down the pike early on. She's 71 now and is in poor health mostly displaying a lot of the symptoms that were listed in some of those new (at the time) fad drugs. Her skin literally will separate with some injuries and after repeated tests the doctors are unsure why. Awful.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input. I have no idea what she takes and have no way of finding out, she carries around her pill box with all her things sorted by day and time of day. One day she came to pick me up and on the floor of her car was literally a carpet of pills, she told me to just kick them aside-she spilled her pill box and would take care of it when she got a chance, they stayed there for a couple weeks until I got a quart size zipper bag and put all the pills in-it filled up the bag! We do have one Dr. in common, our primary but she has said that since I am not a relative, I can do nothing-not sure if Dr. is looking into it but I imagine she did what she could.
    From here I guess I need to just be there for her and pray she comes around.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister-in-law is addicted to pills and was a nurse AND has been through this once before. She stole some pills from me at New Years.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

If she has immediate family members they need to know what is going on. Good luck and she is fortunate to have you as a friend.
    Trisha
    Coram Deo