Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I do?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What can I do?

I am surprised that she still has a job and wonder if her employers have tried to talk to her?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Since she has more then one doctor, I suspect that she doesn’t give full disclosure to all of them as to what medication each is giving her. She may be getting double doses from different doctors.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to hear this about your friend. My DSD has this issue. She is addicted to a couple of medications, and if she doesn't like what one doctor says, she goes to another one. Her biological mother is an enabler, and helps feed in to her hypochondria. As much as you want to help her, there really isn't much you can do, other than be her friend...give an ear to listen, and shoulder to cry on.
    Sometimes I think people in the medical field are even more susceptible, because they 'know; it all, and it could not possible happen to them. Sending hugs and prayers your way. If I happen to know her, give her a hug from me too.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if she uses more than one pharmacy? If you could get a list of all of her rx's and give to all of the pharmacies she uses. I don't know if it would help, but at lest someone in medical field would have a complete list. Pharmacy's are good at notifying both Drs and patient if meds work against each other.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I though the medical industry changed their laws and pharmacy info is out there and they are not supposed to double dose? Find out her dr name. Sounds like he is a pill pusher. Turn him into the state.....turn all the docs in. The system is supposed to prevent this. It sounds like....hypochondriacs wanting attention, because no one else gives them what they need. My ex husband had issues with opiates. That is why he is my ex. There was something he always wanted, too fill some void. But his mind could not figure out the void. His habit cost him his job, his house, his wife. Sounds like your friend needs an intervention.
    But if you intervene, you will have so much drama and will have to be strong enough for her. There is really nothing you can do for her. She has to come to terms with herself. Does she have an enabler? That person needs to be out of her life, if there is an enabler. I dealt with my exs probelem for more than 10 years. It was almost impossible to put food on the table. His habit was costing me $1000 per week. All hidden from me
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do not be an enabler. Your friendship is only valuable to you...not her. Unless she initiates help, she will not take kindly to it. Visit if you must, but truly, you can just step aside and pray.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I would try contacting her family.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are a wonderful friend to get involved in this drug war, because that's v what it is. I would attempt to ask a pharmacist at one of the drug stores that she uses what's the best way to approach this. I bet they deal with this all the time, maybe they can network each other and see what all she is taking and notify the primary care doctor.

With all the opiate problems in this country that have been on the news constantly I thought that doctors and pharmacists were going to start cutting back on opioid prescriptions. My dh had surgery in December and doc prescribed oxycodone for him. He was still in the recovery room when I got handed the prescription to fill. I said wait, we have a whole bottle of this at home from a surgery in July, can't he just take that? The dr said no he should get some fresh. So I got it filled and neither the dr or pharmacist warned about it's addictive qualities and not to take more than absolutely necessary. So now we have a second bottle of 40 pills. My dh said NO I am not taking even one of those and instead got by with ex strength Tylenol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt if the pharmacy would talk to you about her. The confidentiality laws may extend to pharmacies too...not sure. And she may use more than one pharmacy and/or doctor. But the doctor certainly should not talk to you (even though you are a concerned friend)
    Like others have said, if you know of a family member, you could talk to them.

I hear that my son in law's mother is abusing pain killers, too. But that is really not my business to act upon. It's so very common now.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from others who have experience with this common problem, it's one that's difficult to solve. Only advice I have for everyone is to carry a list of your meds., you never know when you might need it. I carry one because each time I go to a medical appointment the RN or Dr. goes over my current meds. and who prescribed them but then I'm honest about what I'm taking and your friend most likely isn't.
    Last edited by MissMay; January 29th, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
    MissMay AKA May in Jersey