Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Your stash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Re: Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Your stash.

Originally posted by Monique View Post
    Love it! I've copied and am going to fill it in, frame it, and put in on my wall!

Comment

• quiltingaway
      Missouri Star
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
      I have zero guilt over the amount of fabric I have on hand. I try to bless people with my sewing and embroidery and I don't worry about how much I have on hand. My only thing is that I have run out of room to store much more. It's all good. I don't believe I have hoarding tendencies. Jeff is a huge enabler!! He loves to watch me shop for fabric.
      And you shouldn't have any guilt! You are an incredibly giving person.
      Annie
      "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• Caroline T.
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2016

" But I know it has made each and every one of us think twice about bringing more stash into our homes. And working very hard to use up what we have. None of us want to leave any of the others to go through this again. Just something to think about. "

I too was responsible for my Mother's UFO's and inherited one of her vintage Singers (my SIL got the other one) when she passed away, but I had just the opposite feeling as I went thru Mom's UFOs and completed them. Yes, occasionally I shed tears of grief - and sometimes frustration as I worked on them, but more often than not, I felt a connection to Mom's spirit and that she was watching over my work, and guiding my hands. I still get that feeling and find it comforting knowing that I not only inherited her UFOs (which I completed and gave to my siblings) but I also inherited her love of the craft.

Comment

• laura44
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2014

Sometimes I feel so guilty about the large amount of stash I'm have.
          I really plan on using a lot of it this year. So far this month I have made
          at least 5 tops that will be passed on to a charity. Yes, I have much more than I
          will ever use in my lifetime. I have given my husband a list of quilting groups
          that will be glad to have my stash after I pass. Really, if I can afford it, have
          the room, and it makes me happy, it's not hurting anyone.

Comment

• PrettyCurious
            The Guild President
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post

I too was responsible for my Mother's UFO's and inherited one of her vintage Singers (my SIL got the other one) when she passed away, but I had just the opposite feeling as I went thru Mom's UFOs and completed them. Yes, occasionally I shed tears of grief - and sometimes frustration as I worked on them, but more often than not, I felt a connection to Mom's spirit and that she was watching over my work, and guiding my hands. I still get that feeling and find it comforting knowing that I not only inherited her UFOs (which I completed and gave to my siblings) but I also inherited her love of the craft.
            That's what I was thinking. I hope if any tears are shed on my behalf that they are tears of joy. If you should find yourself completing one of my projects, or starting one with my fabrics after I am gone, just know that I am smilling down on you.
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• SuzyQue
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2010

I see my “stash” as my Resources. Just as an artist needs paints and papers and a scrap booker needs embellishments and stickers, I need fabric, patterns, thread, and machines to complete my art. I don’t feel any guilt! I have an enormous amount to chose from and someday I will make others happy as they find my bargains!

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                Missouri Star
                • May 2013

What will happen to it when I can "no longer quilt' ? Will it be a problem for my executor? Who knows ... and I refuse to project. But I'm positive that someone else will benefit be it relatives, quilty friends or a charity. It's the circle of life and creativity.

Passing judgement on a person's fabric collection is a bit-off putting to me.
                Last edited by Judy, USMC; January 26, 2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Iris Girl
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2013

I have no guilt over my stash. A lot of it was gotten when I was fabric manager of a chain fabric store. I made a lit of clothing, quilts and other items from it. I add to it when I see sometning I like or hubby or one of my sons sees something interesting. I have no daugters or daugter in laws so when I am gone my stuff will like go to good will. It is mine and my familys pleasure the things made from stash. No elephants in my room.
                  sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                  Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                  Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Angelia
                    Missouri Star
                    • Dec 2013

I live in a very small house, and sometimes I get overwhelmed with my stash. However, I use it and rarely buy fabric, so I think of it as a resource for the work I love to do. After I'm gone...I know enough quilters both in and outside of my family will use (or donate) it.
                    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                      Batting Beauty
                      • May 2016

I'm inspired by those of you who have already completed multiple tops this month. I'm still chugging along on my current WIP and determined to finish it before I move on to a new project. I've got a large stash of precuts with coordinating border and binding yardage. Most of these "kits" sit in their own plastic box in a rather tall stack. I've also got a good chunk of yardage that was beautiful and deeply discounted for backings and maybe some more borders and quilt blocks.

Sometimes I feel guilty about my stash, but more often now I feel thankful to have a wealth of beautiful material on hand to use whenever the mood strikes. When a fabric line really catches my eye, I know if I wait too long it will become discontinued, sell out, then become very expensive to find later on places like Etsy (for example, precuts and yardage from Tula Pink's past lines can command a hugely inflated price). Even so, I put things I like on a wish list and mull it over to see if I still want it next payday or birthday or whatever.

Stashing isn't unique to quilting; it seems pervasive in all kinds of crafting. We have access to ideas and inspiration like never before, and it's easy to rack up a huge list of things you want to make. Fabric manufacturers create many new lines with limited runs, and retailers promote and offer discounts on craft materials. It's an environment that absolutely promotes stashing by playing on your fear of missing out, appealing to the thrill you get when you feel like you've hunted and gathered for a great bargain, and giving you aspirations of being a better and more prolific maker.

Comment

• Monique
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

I have told Philip not to throw out my stash and machines. If Maizyn doesn't want it, then give it to some charity somewhere, just don't throw it in the garbage. I think I should fill in the Quilter's will.
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Altairss
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2014

Stash that so touchy subject, what is enough ,too much or not enough? Personal opinion really but for me I have helped other clear out peoples stash of what ever they collected after they have passed. Those that left specific instructions made it easier. Guilds charities. It helps if someone in your family shares yours choice of hobby but if you live in a family that doesn't share it would be wise to pick someone that shares your hobby to help over see the dispersal. I have seem family members about have a nervous breakdown trying to deal with an overwhelming collection. Most turn around and dump it and yes I mean dump it at a certain point an overwhelmed person does this I know I have had to help load trucks for the dump and no amount of give it to a thrift shop charity or whatever has stopped them once they have reached that point.

So of course enjoy what you have and collect how you want but make things easy for those left behind and tell them specifically what you want done and have a person in place to handle it. I am oldest sisters person to help disperse her quilting items my nephews were told I was to be on hand so that things just don't get tossed and I am working on making notes for my family complete with pictures so they won't have to stress when its time to clean up after me.

One of my other sisters was over not that long ago and looking around my sewing room saying wow you have a lot of fabric. I laughed and pointed out most of it she gave to me. She kept buying it at garage sales to maybe someday quilt and gifted it to me instant stash!
                          Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

I have no guilt about my fabric & sewing supplies stash. I plan to quilt to my heart's content as long as I am able. My sewing room & supplies are well organized. My hobby brings me & others a lot of enjoyment. Monique, thanks for the link to the Quilter's Last Will & Testament. I plan to leave instructions to my family about my sewing items & fabric. My future is in God's hands.

Comment

• JulieC
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2016

One of my sisters and I had this discussion on Sunday. When I first started quilting, I wanted to keep my stash small, just in case I decided I didn't like, or stopped, quilting for some reason. I didn't want a huge investment in fabric that would go to waste. Also, my sister told me that I had better not leave her with a huge stash if I go first! Now I don't worry about it. My stash is my stash. I already told my sister that I want my stash donated to Snuggled in Hope Quilts (http://www.snuggledinhopequilts.com). I'm going to leave a note with the stash and attach a codicil to my will. If I die before I can use it all, at least it will go to a good cause. Problem solved.

Comment

• MaryUK
                                Missouri Star
                                • Feb 2016

I have come late to quilting, have only been doing it the last 2-3 years, although I have been a dressmaker most of my adult life.

My dressmaking stash is enormous (either given to me or bought in sales) and my quilting stash is growing daily. I also knit, crochet, make cards and scrapbook, so I have a huge stash of all sorts!!

BUT I only occasionally feel bad about it as until a few years ago I didn't have the time or space to craft. Now I have retired I can sew, knit etc daily and it is giving me such pleasure. The bulk of what I make either goes to charity or family members and I'm having a whale of a time.

My DD has told me my machines and most of my card making things will go on eBay when I pass, but she is getting interested in sewing so I think she will keep most things. I will ask her to donate to my LQS as she is the rep for Linus and the ladies will put my stuff to good use!! My yarn will go to a few friends at church who knit and crochet so there won't be much left.

Comment

Working...
                                X