Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Your stash.

Maybe I am sicker than I think. I have 14 machines (mostly vintage and almost all in working order - a couple I am in the process of restoring) along with more fabric (lots of vintage) and notions than I will ever be able to use. I have slowed down on buying fabric (hooray for me!). Well, maybe today is the day to finish the cataloging of the machines and "my wishes" for the rest of the stash! This is reality, but depressing. Now maybe I will need a therapist!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    Maybe I am sicker than I think. I have 14 machines (mostly vintage and almost all in working order - a couple I am in the process of restoring) along with more fabric (lots of vintage) and notions than I will ever be able to use. I have slowed down on buying fabric (hooray for me!). Well, maybe today is the day to finish the cataloging of the machines and "my wishes" for the rest of the stash! This is reality, but depressing. Now maybe I will need a therapist!
    I don't think you have a problem at all. If you enjoy using and get pleasure from owning beautiful machines and fabric, that is healthy. It would not be if you just kept buying and just dropping bags and boxes without even knowing what you have. I'm all for having a healthy stash, that you can draw upon when you need that perfect little fabric.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I doing think the intent here was for anybody to feel guilty about the size of their stash. I found it interesting to hear what you all have on hand, and your philosophy about buying or not buying more. I would feel terrible if anyone thought I was being too critical.
    My thoughts exactly - I was surprised that the guilt thing came in to play at all. It was certainly never my intent either. I think for all of us on the forum quilting, and all that goes with it is something that feeds our souls. It gives us joy. Gives joy to our loved ones and brings joy to complete strangers through charity quilts. There should be no guilt involved with that at all!

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to all of this)) GB
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    I don't understand why my fabric collection is other peoples problem.
    I think of it as a blessing.
    I bless people with quilts now, and when I pass, other people will be blessed to get my unused supplies at a deep discount, which is where I got nearly all my things when I was starting out.
    Maybe I have enough to make a dozen quilts, maybe a hundred. I haven't calculated it, and don't wish to burden myself with such thoughts. I am busy thinking of what quilts I would like to bless which people in my life with. That's what makes me happy.

ps, there's no elephant in my room.
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

8. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Hi Julie, I am glad that my post may have got some people thinking, not only about their fabric stashes and sewing rooms, but the whole of their homes.
    I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with hoarders - or helped inheritors who neither wanted nor appreciated what was given to them. Although tongue in cheek - Monique's posting the link to "The Quilter's Last Will And Testament" was positive and will probably be downloaded by a few.

What's wrong with people having different interests/hobbies/tastes in life? If I inherit something that I would never use should I graciously accept it and store it knowing I will never use it? I think that's what many would like to see but then that would fit the definition of being a hoarder, wouldn't it? I see no problem in others who can use and appreciate my "style of life" benefiting from my investments whether they find it at Goodwill, the Salvation Army or at an auction. I will not be around to judge the action of others in this matter and would hope those left behind would not judge them either.

This topic had caused a lot of people to become defensive. You did make people think ~ but also have possibly caused more unwarranted guilty feelings and/or unnecessary justifications than you intended. That's "in my opinion", of course.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, JulieC, Sandy Navas thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Got to live to be 213.

Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My quilting friends know I am a fabric snob and only buy quilt shop quality fabric. Hubby knows to NOT give my fabric to Good Will but to daughter and quilting friends -- even though I rarely purchase quality fabric over $4.50 / yard.

I have enough fabric for about 12 - 15 large quilt tops not including background and backing and 10 baby quilts. This does not include a wicker hamper full of denim jean scraps and one with shirting scraps, nor my batting and a bolt of Pellon.

All fabric is stored in a hutch which cannot hold any more fabric right now. My problem -- I'm not quilting fast enough!

For the record I didn't feel any pointing fingers or intention of guilt in this post. And I'll just say it ...

one person can't cause guilt in another; guilt comes from within, from one's own awareness or reaction to a situation.

Peace.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post