Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snowball help from Deb Tucker

I always have trouble making my snowballed corners look right. So I bought a Deb Tucker Corner Pop Tool to help me. The basic theory of using this tool is that you cut oversized triangles to put on the corners and then trim to size.

Usually I find Deb Tucker's tools to be intuitive and easy to use. This tool is an exception. I watched Deb's videos and still didn't get it. Today, I finally typed up a cheat sheet for myself to translate Deb's instructions into concepts I can understand.

For those of you who are also Deb Tucker fans, here is my cheat sheet!

Notes for Corner Pop Tool
    First thing to realize:
    Your “base piece” is cut as directed in original instructions. Whether this is a single square, a rectangle, or a pieced block, cut and sew as directed.
    → i.e. if your base is a 5” square, cut a 5” square.

Second thing to realize:
    The chart refers exclusively to the corner piece that you’re adding to the base.

Third thing to realize:
    For some bizarre reason, all instructions refer to the finished size of the corner piece. No one ever thinks about the finished size of a corner piece (since it’s never “finished,” it’s just added to a base), but it’s critical to make this mental adjustment. “Finished” size is always ˝” smaller than the size you’re instructed to cut in your original cutting directions.

Chart translations that make sense to me
    Published Size for Folded Corner
    This is the size that you’re told to cut your corner pieces in the original pattern cutting instructions. Do NOT actually cut these!

Finished Size / Cut Away Size on Corner Pop Tool
    These are the markings you need to look at on the Corner Pop Tool itself.

Replacement Triangle Square Size
    If your original pattern cutting instructions tell you to cut four 2˝” squares, you instead cut two 3-1/4” squares. In other words, cut a square that's 1-3/4" larger than the original pattern told you to. These two squares give you four oversized triangles to use on the corners of the base piece.

Corner Trim Down Line
    As in “Finished Size / Cut Away Size on Corner Pop Tool,” this is the marking to use on the Corner Pop Tool when you’re trimming down to size after attaching the corner snowball.

That's it. Now that I've made these mental translations, I understand how to use the tool. I'm looking forward to constructing the Milky Way Bali Hai quilt I just bought from Craftsy (sale alert)!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

2. Thanks Sheep Farmer, Monique, clwetzel thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Snowball help from Deb Tucker

Bought the same one from Deb her self at a quilt show. i`ve never used it couldn`t figure it out after igot home her other ones were great to use also watched video but no luck will try this
    Thanks Gale

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hope these "translations" help you to use this terrific tool. The one time I painstakingly slogged through using it (before I made these mental transitions), I ended up with beautiful corners.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are right about this particular ruler. I have quite a few of her rulers (Hunter star, leymone star and pineapple) which came with very clear written instructions. The corner pop is the exception. I was able to finally figure it out by watching the video, but will find your notes helpful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Folded Corner tool from Doug Leko. It’s easy to use and comes with clear directions. Doug also has a You Tube tutorial he did with Fat Quarter Shop. It is also a breeze to make flying geese of any size with this tool. No more wonky looking geese! Yes, really. Any trimming needed is literally a sliver. And I could never get them right before. A great value to me, and happy I bought it. I can be more more specific if anyone has questions.

7. Thanks Grey Lady, The_Last_Unicorn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I'd known about that. I'll look into Doug Leko's tools. They sound intriguing.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I got the Folded Corner tool from Doug Leko. It’s easy to use and comes with clear directions. Doug also has a You Tube tutorial he did with Fat Quarter Shop. It is also a breeze to make flying geese of any size with this tool. No more wonky looking geese! Yes, really. Any trimming needed is literally a sliver. And I could never get them right before. A great value to me, and happy I bought it. I can be more more specific if anyone has questions.
    I ended up ordering this tool after watching that video. So many quilts I want to make use folded corners...the quilt I'm working on has them, too! This tool will be very useful. I'm not sure why, but the stitch and fold method always leaves me with snowball corners that aren't quite square.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
    I ended up ordering this tool after watching that video. So many quilts I want to make use folded corners...the quilt I'm working on has them, too! This tool will be very useful. I'm not sure why, but the stitch and fold method always leaves me with snowball corners that aren't quite square.
    Just ordered this tool also. I'm working on really wonky stitch & flip corners now.
    Diana Grey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Snowball corners seem like they'd be so easy. And yet, look at how many of us struggle with them!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried out Leko's Simple Folded Corners ruler this morning and I'm pretty happy with the neater results compared to my old method. This ruler does require you to use a precise scant inch. I found out I needed to move my Clearly Perfect Angles seam guide over a titch, then I was good to go. Finger pressing the finished seam feels easier because my sewing line is straighter.