Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone quilted with upholstery fabrics? Help!

I just scored a huge amount of upholstery fabrics. Some are light weight, some are outdoor fabric, some velours, wovens, polyester, all kinds. Beautiful samples. Are these suitable for quilting? What about washability (is that a word?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Thanks CopperVyxen thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyone quilted with upholstery fabrics? Help!

Welcome to M*QC Forum.

When I was growing up one of my favorite quilts was a crazy quilt hand pieced by my maternal grandmother. There were satins, wools, cottons, silks - you name it - in that quilt. Pieces of my grandfather's suits, bloomers from the oldest daughter, pieces of a wedding dress.

Can you use these in a quilt? It is YOUR quilt so it's your rules. I have several baskets of decorator fabric samples and have a crazy quilt UFO in process - and some day I hope to have it finished. I've made a giant quilt using men's neckties - some were cotton, some even silk (though the silk does not hold up well to daily use), some polyester and a variety of other fabrics.

There are NO QUILT POLICE! (At least we don't allow them here . . . )
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

4. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to a craft fair where someone had upholstery quilts for sale. There may be challenges in terms of what threads/needles/stitches work well with the heavier weight fabrics, but it's doable!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sure you can do it but I don't know how washable it would be. I would make a little sample up of different pieces sewed together, maybe 36" finished, measure/ wash/ measure again. I would be very interested in knowing the results. I have a friend who is an upholsterer and is always giving me scraps but so far I have not done anything with them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made some pretty couch throws and duvet covers with upholstery fabrics. I tried to stay away from the stiff ones. I will caution you that they don't make good potholders...they melt...have fun with them. Some of the women on the forum have used them for tote bags and they were beautiful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used lightweight upolstery fabric for a purse. I love how it came out and it is very washable but has good strength with the stablizer on it too. If fact my daughter snagged it and uses it for her carry bag for her nursing shift.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought upholstery fabric to make a strong tote bag for a Sunday School teacher friend who had to carry a lot of books for her students. It lasted a long time.

I have made jean quilts and they are similar in weight to upholstery fabric and upholstery fabric is a lot prettier than the jeans!
    Last edited by Vonnie; January 23rd, 2018 at 11:21 PM.
    Vonnie

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Well that could be interesting. You could definitely do a thing where you zigzag thick fabrics onto a base fabric rather than seaming. And with scraps of outdoor fabrics, you could perhaps do throw pillows or a floor cloth or table runner for an outdoor room. Please share the results of your experiments with us!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most upholstery/home dec fabric has a coating of fade resistant chemical on it, when washed this will be gone. It will likely change the hand of the fabric. I am working on a quilt right now that has a border made from 100% cotton drapery fabric. The colors were perfect and I love the combo but it is quite heavy to haul through the sewing machine as I FMQ.
    As said before, it is your quilt, make it to make you happy but be aware of the properties of the fabrics.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think the fabrics are to heavy.
    Think about the thickness when you put
    several layers together for seaming.
    Plus this quilt would be extremely heavy.
    I would not use the upholstery fabric for a quilt.