Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default jelly roll quiilt questions

A friend recently helped me select fabrics for a jelly roll quilt. I think we used about 12 different fabrics and while it It came out pretty good, I'm just not certain we had enough different fabrics/patterns/colors.

1. Should you keep the strips together as they come in the roll, or should you mix them up.
    2. How many different fabric patterns are usually in a jelly roll
    3. How many strips are usually in a jelly roll
    4. If I cut my own strips, how many different patterns should I use and should I sew the same pattern/fabrics together and then move on to the next....or mix them up.
    5. Should I use a solid color to break up the different patterns,

I understand that the finished quilt size will depend on how many strips I use, but can someone tell me what size quilt one jelly roll will make.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: jelly roll quiilt questions

Hey, Carol!

Jelly Rolls - 2 1/2" pre-cut strips, cut the width of the fabric (WOF), from selvage to selvage. Jelly Rolls are sold in sets of 40 strips from a coordinating fabric line; total yardage yield is approximately 2 3/4+ yards

To address your questions:
    1. There is no set method on how jelly roll strips come off of the roll.....that is your decision and would probably depend on the patterns you're creating.
    2. How many different fabrics in a jelly roll, depends on the manufacturer of the fabric line. Again, there is no set regime for that number.....
    3. Usually there is 40, unless you get a junior roll which is about half the size.
    4. This is pretty much the same answer as question 2. How much money are you willing to spend on the minimum of a quarter yard to a half yard on each pattern the fabric line has to offer. Should you decide to go that route....for example, the fabric line offers 15 different designs, you order a quarter yard of each one @ 10.95 a yard.....that would be over 40.00 to make your own jelly roll.
    5. You could use solid fabrics or tone on tone......your choice, sweetie!

Jelly rolls are a convenience to a quilter to not have to cut all those pieces...... A jelly roll has 40 pieces of 2.5 inch strips of fabric.

1 – Lap/Twin quilt

2 – Queen quilt

Good luck in what you decide!!!!!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

3. Thanks Lyrical, PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also check in JeanSewingMachine's notes, she has a lot of information about jelly roll quilts. She is after all, the Jelly Roll Queen.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

5. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't seem to have great luck with JRR quilts and they seem to turn out blobby. Jenny sews hers together the way they come off the roll. Jean is our resident expert, so she will likely weigh in here.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I shouldn't have answered the inquiry.....in fact, I won't answer anything for a while.....
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Sherri, I thought your answer was great....very detailed, and I think you addressed all of Carol's questions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sherri - lots of great information.....thanks for answering.
    And I'll definitely check Jeans notes

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

When I do a jelly roll race, I usually open the JR and toss it in the dryer on "fluff" (no heat) - this tumbles them to mix them up and also takes all those pinked edge lint pieces off for me. I pull them into a laundry basket, sit the basket next to me at my machine, and just reach down and pull randomly. The only time I drop one and re-pick from the basket is if it's the exact same print as the one I'm sewing it to.

Sometimes I will cut each strip into 2-3 pieces of random lengths as I toss them into the dryer, usually if it's a modern print that I really want to mix up around the quilt. I will lose a little bit of length with the extra seams, but it helps all of my quilts not look the same/similar.

11. Thanks Carriesovery, auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    When I do a jelly roll race, I usually open the JR and toss it in the dryer on "fluff" (no heat) - this tumbles them to mix them up and also takes all those pinked edge lint pieces off for me. I pull them into a laundry basket, sit the basket next to me at my machine, and just reach down and pull randomly. The only time I drop one and re-pick from the basket is if it's the exact same print as the one I'm sewing it to.

Sometimes I will cut each strip into 2-3 pieces of random lengths as I toss them into the dryer, usually if it's a modern print that I really want to mix up around the quilt. I will lose a little bit of length with the extra seams, but it helps all of my quilts not look the same/similar.
    That's a wonderful idea. One of the main reasons I despise Jelly Roll Race sewing is the mess the pinked edges made. I've used a lint roller before but that takes forever and doesn't cut down on the mess as much as I would like.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note - if you want to do queen size, please check Jean's notes because you don't sew and cut them like you would a twin size. She has the formula in her notes.