Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking about getting a better machine...

Hi all,
    I have been thinking about upgrading for many years. It keeps getting put off. I've saved enough money but I seem to still keep putting mental obstacles in my own way. Ones like: I need to sew more to justify this purchase.
    My other half is fine with this purchase, in fact, he'd like me to go ahead and do it already.
    We live in two places. Where would it stay? One place I can buy without sales tax but then wouldn't have the support when I'm in the other place and it would be a struggle to travel for lessons. The place where I'd pay the sales tax would make it easier to get to learn the machine.
    Well, you've gotten a taste of the mental debate going on in my head. Maybe I should just go test drive one.
    I'm considering a Janome 6600 or the newer 6700. I am not a machine embroiderer and don't envision becoming one.
    Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated,
    lots2do

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thinking about getting a better machine...

I had a Janome 6600 a number of years ago. I really liked it. I briefly looked at the 6700 at a shop, just out of curiosity, not serious consideration of buying one. One thing I liked is the placement of buttons that are used frequently, like the cutter, needle up/ down, back stitch. They are in much more convenient places on the machine. I didn't sew on it, so I can't attest to that. I think lessons are important, I'd trade useability over sales tax, you don't want to buy a machine and not be able to use it because you don't know how to utilize its features. Another thing to consider is where do you get the most time sewing. If you go to one place seasonally, where do you get the most opportunity to sew? Good luck on your search.

4. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I am following this as I am considering a more versatile machine this year.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I too live in 2 different places during the year. When I ran across a deal where I could trade in any machine (didn't have to be working condition) I used a cheap one I had bought a long time ago and upgraded my Viking. I now use my older Viking in one place and the newer one at the other (wherever I do the most sewing). I was fortunate to run across this deal and to have an old crappy machine!

7. Thanks lots2do, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Take the test drive, but leave your check book, credit card and all other means of purchasing at home. Think about it for at least 48 hours after your test drive. And dealer support is more important than avoiding sales tax.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

9. Thanks lots2do, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You sound like a smart lady to have narrowed down your options to what's important to you.
    I don't know what the sales tax is, but I'd consider it the cost of lessons, and it would probably be worth it.

Of course, I've never taken a lesson in my life. but I'd like to. Most of them take place while I'm at work.
    Last edited by PrettyCurious; January 19th, 2018 at 10:51 AM.

11. Thanks lots2do, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My vote goes to Bernina. Great dependable machines.

13. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 6600 and love it! I would test drive the machines and see what you like. Maybe you could buy the Janome where there is no sales tax, get your lesson while in that location and bring it back for it's servicing when you are there. Or just not worry about the taxes and buy where it is most convenient for you. I will say the Janomes are very user friendly and I never took a lesson and never really needed one. The instruction manual is good, covers everything I've ever needed. Good luck with your new machine.

15. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for Babylock! They are awesome machines. I also vote for two machines so you won't risk damaging them in travel. If cost is a factor, look at trade-ins. Lots of people take advantage of trading up on a barely used machine. I have one large machine (well it was large when I bought it!) and it stays on it's table. Just carrying it and it's extension table would be cumbersome. So I let DH talk me into getting a traveling machine so I can go to quilt/sew-ins. My tote is on wheels and is large enough to hold accessories and projects. Best of both worlds.

No matter what machine brand you buy, good customer service is worth a higher price. It saves money in the long run.
    Vonnie

17. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a Janome 6600 and use it every day. I have fmq queen size quilts on it and it's possible, little bit of a struggle, but now have a Handi Quilter Sweet 16 for fmq. With my Janome on smaller wall hanging quilts, I have quite a lot of fun fmq fancy design and can even use a twin needle too with different threads. It is a heavy machine to take to classes, so I have a Janome Gem for that.

19. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post