• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BarbaraB
    Designer Diva
    • Dec 2016

Question about lumpy seams

Good Morning all!
    I'm joining the rows on a quilt I'm making (Butterfly Blooms by Cozy Quilt Designs) and some of the seams have 8 fabrics all coming together in one spot. I followed the directions to press all the seams to the side but the seam between the rows I pressed open due to the bulk. No matter how much I press these spots, it still is lumpy. Is this normal and something that will quilt out? For that matter, will I be able to quilt it on my home machine? Is there some trick to rearrange the seams to get it to lay flatter? I've only joined the first two rows and I'd hate to rip it out because all my seams line up perfectly. I hope this makes sense; I've had only one cup of coffee.
    Barbara
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: Question about lumpy seams

Good morning Barbara. If you post a picture of where the seams come together we may be able to give better advice. Sometimes you can press the seams different directions so all eight do not overlap. Frankly sometimes you can't.

If you do have eight layers of fabric overlapping it is normal for it to feel lumpy. You will not feel the lump after it is quilted.

Your domestic sewing machine will probably be able to quilt through the intersection. What kind of machine will you be doing the quilting on? If it all possible pick a quilting motif that doesn't go through the intersection of the eight layers. If you have to go through the intersection increase the size of your needle. A 90/14 is a minimum, a 100/16 would be better. Also the first time you sew over the intersection slow down and listen for your sewing machine making any unhappy sounds.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Vonnie
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2013

This is how I do mine:

How to press the press the rows in a pinwheel block and treat the center of a pinwheel to reduce bulk
      Vonnie

Comment

• grammaterry
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

I made that quilt and after I quilted it, it laid flat. I quilted it in spiraling circles and just circled around the intersecting seams. Just go for it. The first rows are always the hardest because we are worried we're not doing it right. After the first couple of rows you'll be more comfortable with it.
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

• LindaKay75
          The Guild President
          • Mar 2014

I did my pinwheel top exactly how Vonnie's attachment shows. And it works! Much less bulk.
          sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

I know there is controversy about pressing seams open, but when it's that kind of a pattern where so many seams come together, I press seams open. Much less bulk. Another thing that helps those bumps is a Clover Pen. A drop of that liquid helps relax the fabrics & you can press them down. If that fails, take a small wooden mallet & whack 'em!

Comment

• cindirae
              Binding Belle
              • Oct 2013

I have no problem taking a hammer an smashing the snot out of them.
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• carolynrae
                The Guild President
                • Apr 2013

I am working on a Pinwheel quilt and I have done my seams like Vonnie's attachment also. Much less bulk.

Comment

• Carol336
                  Missouri Star
                  • May 2013

My niece taught me to use this method

To achieve a smooth and even quilt top, it's important to consider how the seam allowances come together. Watch this video to learn a great way to evenly dis...

Comment

• BarbaraB
                    Designer Diva
                    • Dec 2016

Thanks for all the replies and the links to videos. I've tried fanning the seams but it seems that I'm mentally challenged unless I have someone right there to show me how to do it. I really laughed about taking a hammer to it. Can you imagine being a new quilter and walking into a shop and seeing that? I think I'd walk right out and rethink my new hobby......
                    While I was making it I did question the seams being pressed to the side, but since I've never made one like this I figured I'd better follow the instructions. I'm making a similar quilt and pressing the seams open works better. I did take a section of the quilt and a piece of batting and a scrap of fabric and just threw it under the machine to test quilt and it turned out fine when I made the stitches a bit bigger and decreased my presser foot pressure. I think it will turn out pretty well. I'm going to outline quilt it in 40wt. black thread. Thanks again and may you all have a good day!
                    Barbara

Comment

• LindaKay75
                      The Guild President
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Carol336 View Post
                      My niece taught me to use this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-yt1YrfZ0
                      That is an excellent way also. Thanks for posting.
                      sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                      X