Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Confession and a Craft felt question

Oh I just love your chickens. Thats what I have in my kitchen. Good job its gonna be so cute.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Confession and a Craft felt question

Quote Originally Posted by SewLiz View Post
    I haven't touched my sewing machine in many months. I've been thinking about just selling all of my sewing/quilting stuff because of this. I'm attempting one last project to see if I can make it turn out half way decent. If not, then I think I'll call it quits. It's not that I don't like quilting, it's just that I'm not very good at it. The plan was to make stuff to sell at craft shows, or ebay/etsy, for extra money. But it takes me so long to make just one small project and most of the time it doesn't turn out good enough to sell. I recently tried to make the 10 minute table runner (Jean Truelove's youtube version) and was a mess (I used fabric that I didn't care for, so no real loss there). I've spent a ton of money on fabric through the years and I just don't feel like I can make anything worth even getting half of my money back now. I've already started putting fabric/notions that I know I won't use on ebay, but I can't help but wonder if I should just get rid of it all now and be done with it.

So with all that said:

I want to add felt (used Accuquilt's fowl die to cut the shapes out) to a wall hanging that I'm working on, but I don't know if I can machine stitch it down or do I have to hand sew it on (I hate hand sewing). Should I fuse it down first? One color of the felt is thicker than the other, but they came from the same package, so I don't know if that's going to affect anything.

The top part is mostly venting, so no real need to respond to that, I'd just like to know about the felt (or should I even use it?). Thanks.
    Hi, you say that you are not very good at quilting, I cannot tell by your one photo, and we can be our own worst critic. How about taking some classes at LQS, or some guilds offer classes to improve skills. This might help you build skills where you might be lacking to make items faster. This is the key to being successful at selling your products. Handmade sells, but it and you must present a professional image - not a hoakie crafter.
    Years ago, I approached it as a business would. I researched my market and where / which craft shows generally had more people traffic. What you sell might not be needed by some people, but the more people who see your product, the more opportunity for a sale. Also, I packaged my products and had information tags for each product, and always with my contact information so they could reach me for more. This kept me busy, with repeat customers, calling in between craft shows. You need to learn to cut, sew, product style, even with different fabrics. This minimizes the time to reset up your cutting area. Chain piece with same colour threads, changing as necessary. I also registered as a small business, which meant I collected and paid tax, but this ,east I was also able to buy my fabric wholesale. Difference between paying $6/m to under $2/m. Sure I bought bolts of 13/m but I also produced. In my first 4 months, i sold just under $30k of product items, expenses at about $10K. I worked at this for a few years, but scaled back the
    level of production as this was hard on my body and family. I continued to produce, but at a lesser level. That was 17 years ago from my first craft show. Now I sew enough for one 1-day show, and with sales just under $1k. That is good enough for me.
    Once your product is ready for the show, have a table/booth that displays your product to maximum. Cover boxes and drape with solid colour fabric. You can add height and interest at your table. Hand out business cards. On the back, add list of available products.
    On your chickens, they are cute, if you haven't used fusible before cutting, just set in place with dabs of glue, and do a blanket stitch all around. Felt won't fray when washed.
    Keep at it, don't give up unless you really don't enjoy it. Remember, sewing / quilting or any other hobby/sport is meant to be fun and meaningful.
    Suzanne

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.