Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bacon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bacon

Wow! This is wonderful to read. I'm going to cook bacon this morning! In the Oven!
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels

2. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We made the bacon this morning. It was good, but took quite a bit longer in the oven (400 degrees) than expected. But it was good. No grease spatter in oven and after sitting on paper towels for a couple of minutes crisped ok. Not a LOT of bacon odor in the house.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've cooked bacon in the oven for years. I have a large edged sheet pan with a rack in it. I do 2# at a time. I have a convection oven. So a tray on 2 shelves. Cook at 350' for? I can smell when they're ready. Drain on paper towel, freeze! Enjoy....whenever! Works for me. I hate the fry mess and it doesn't (surprisingly) make a mess in the oven. The first time I baked, I covered with foil, but it only steamed, so no covering for me.
    Yum....now I'm hungry!
    Anita

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    I guess I am the chater here. I do bacon in the microwave.
    Well, what would you call me then, I buy cooked bacon from Sam's Club!
    Vonnie

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the bacon in the oven, put crumpled foil underneath as I did not have a rack. Also laid foil loose over top, took way longer and ended up finishing on the stove!

9. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieSue View Post
    I tried the bacon in the oven, put crumpled foil underneath as I did not have a rack. Also laid foil loose over top, took way longer and ended up finishing on the stove!
    I'm sorry this didn't work for you. I love to share things that work for me & hate it when someone doesn't have success when they try the receipt. I hope you will give it another try using the method I described at the beginning of the post but adjusting the temperature for the reason I stated below.

Not sure why you'd put foil over the top since the bacon doesn't pop & splatter. Try lining the cookie sheet with foil (no crinkling or ridging, just flat. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Lay out your bacon strips but don't overlap them. For thick bacon I set the timer for 18 minutes & then check until it looks done. For thin bacon I set the timer at 8 minutes & keep checking. I get perfect bacon every time & the clean up is easy. I throw the napkins we used onto the foil, pull the edges of the foil up, twist & throw in the trash.
    I did find after posting this that I needed a new part for my oven. It wasn't accurate so the 400 degrees was actually 425 degrees.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't eat bacon, but have a funny story. When I was working at one hotel the bake shop was right across the way from the line and we shared ovens (designers somehow forgot to design a bakery into the hotel ) The breakfast cook would bake the bacon and drained them on slices of bread in chaffing pans for the buffet. Every morning we had tourists from Japan filling up the whole restaurant. They were eating the grease soaked bread! We all thought it was weird at first, but if it's out on a buffet it's up for grabs I guess. lol

Lorie

12. Thanks Carolnnc, Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I don't eat bacon, but have a funny story. When I was working at one hotel the bake shop was right across the way from the line and we shared ovens (designers somehow forgot to design a bakery into the hotel ) The breakfast cook would bake the bacon and drained them on slices of bread in chaffing pans for the buffet. Every morning we had tourists from Japan filling up the whole restaurant. They were eating the grease soaked bread! We all thought it was weird at first, but if it's out on a buffet it's up for grabs I guess. lol
    Well not to funny. My parents went through the depression and world war. My mom would fry bread in bacon grease. On another note, she made chicken soup out of the feet and us kids would fight over them ..4 kids two feet. My kids love that story. Little did my mom know she was a gourmet cook LOL. I recently seen them in the grocery store. I passed by them.

14. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
    Well not to funny. My parents went through the depression and world war. My mom would fry bread in bacon grease. On another note, she made chicken soup out of the feet and us kids would fight over them ..4 kids two feet. My kids love that story. Little did my mom know she was a gourmet cook LOL. I recently seen them in the grocery store. I passed by them.
    My maternal Grandmother would buy chicken necks and make soup out of them. During the depression, my Dad told me that he got really sick of eating oatmeal because all the females in the family wanted the cloth bags that the oatmeal came in.
    Vonnie

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Not a big fan of bacon mostly because of the greasy mess but tried oven baking it and came out great without the mess. I lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper, put a cake cooling rack inside of it to hold the bacon. Had some really crisp bacon without a mess.
    MissMay AKA May in Jersey