Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Pins Are Getting Dull

I have an old wool sweater that I have cut pieces out of for the pincushions I have made. I use the fabric cover then a layer of the sweater then the filler, which I only had batting pieces. Next time I see crushed walnuts at the LQS I will get a bag of it and replace the batting with the shells. I also keep the wool sweater nearby when I am pinning quilts, if the safety pin is dull I run it through the sweater once or twice and it works like a charm.

2. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

haha ok so am I the only goof ball that thought from the title of the post that it was about pinterest?
    Britt

4. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lola2Ace View Post
    I have an old wool sweater that I have cut pieces out of for the pincushions I have made. I use the fabric cover then a layer of the sweater then the filler, which I only had batting pieces. Next time I see crushed walnuts at the LQS I will get a bag of it and replace the batting with the shells. I also keep the wool sweater nearby when I am pinning quilts, if the safety pin is dull I run it through the sweater once or twice and it works like a charm.
    Wool helps??? I would have never thought of that. I live in the land of wool. I definitely have to try that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brittyboo07 View Post
    haha ok so am I the only goof ball that thought from the title of the post that it was about pinterest?
    You are too funny. How the heck did you get Pinterest out of my title? LOL.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness!!! I never knew that pins could get dull (even though I have experienced many times when my pins don't go through the fabric). AND, I never knew that the little hanging strawberry on my tomato pin cushion was to sharpen the pins!!!
    Note to self: tell my daughters about this this!
    I'm always learning from you guys! Thanks!

8. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Deb, try this: http://www.craftypod.com/2008/07/07/...e-idea-get-it/

Or, take a fairly large piece of aluminum foil and fold it over and over into a semi-compact 'block'. Start sticking your pins into it when you remove them from your sewing project. The aluminum will also help keep them sharp. I heard that some people use this method to keep their rotary cutter blades sharp, also.
    OMG Sandy! These are awesome ideas! I don't think we can ever say thanks enough for all the little tips you provide!
    Katie's Quilting Corner
    Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
    Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

10. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This may sound disgusting and it is really dating me, but when my boys were little I used cloth diapers. When the pins were dull, I would run them through my hair a couple of times. Bam. They went through that diaper as slick as the lil bottom I was putting the diaper on. I still use that trick with my sewing pins. This is good for a quickie fix. Just be careful not to prick yourself.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

12. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncgrammie View Post
    This may sound disgusting and it is really dating me, but when my boys were little I used cloth diapers. When the pins were dull, I would run them through my hair a couple of times. Bam. They went through that diaper as slick as the lil bottom I was putting the diaper on. I still use that trick with my sewing pins. This is good for a quickie fix. Just be careful not to prick yourself.
    Theda, it's not disgusting. That is one of the reasons a wool sweater helps (one that hasn't been through the steam cleaner) - there's lanolin in the wool - there are natural body oils in your hair. Another thing - I used to keep a bar of Ivory soap near the changing table and would stick my pins in it while changing diapers. The soap would add just enough lubricant to keep those pins gliding into the cloth diaper. (New mothers probably don't know what cloth diapers are, do they?)

Likewise, if you are trying to screw something into wood, they recommend putting the screw into a bar of soap first.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

14. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Bennett-Jónsson View Post
    You are too funny. How the heck did you get Pinterest out of my title? LOL.
    because you "pin" something that you like on pinterest and so I thought you were just getting bored with it haha!!! My bad!
    Britt

16. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, I checked out that link. Interesting idea to use steel wool. Probably serging the seams would avoid that fraying and wearing a pair of gloves to protect the finger tips. What I don't get is why would the pins rust if left in the cushion? It's not like the steel wool would be getting damp inside there. I guess instead of steel wool one could just ball up the aluminum foil into a tight ball and put that inside instead. What do you think?
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

18. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post