Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

Does anyone know of a pattern I could use for a crib size or maybe a little smaller that I could use up the left over fabric from a quilt I made for my great nephew. His new baby brother that is two months old loves the colors and seems to enjoy laying on it. So I thought that's a good way for me to use up the fabric. I have some large pieces as well, but I've got quite a few pieces of 2 inch trips of various sizes and some small squares. Here is the big brother quilt.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farm blanket.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	149319

2. Thanks NanaMaggie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

When I was a teenager, my aunt would cut up old cotton sheets in 6 inch squares then we would just start sewing strips of fabric cut from old clothes until we covered the block, then we would turn it over and trim the edges even with the sheet square.

You could do the same using muslin squares and just start sewing all different shapes to the squares. Afterwards for quilting you could use some of those decorative stitches over the seams. Ta Da - crazy quilt!
    Vonnie

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need a quick pattern for lots of left over strips,squares and rectanges - crib size

What about cutting into strips and alternating blocks? You could do something similar to rail fence, and just make it a bit scrappy.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie, I love that idea - just don't know about the quilting part. I rent a LA from a LQS and I've only done edge to edge either meandering or used the laser pantograph side. I really want to learn how to free style, but I'm intimidated by the idea. I know I just need to bite the bullet and go for it!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

KarenC - I have been leaning towards that. Maybe some rail fence, alternated with 4 patch and then squares cut of the larger pieces I have that would be the same size as the rail fence and 4 patch. It'll be really scrappy, which the big brothers is to an extent with the log cabin and all those different fabrics. Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

With lots of strips, I would suggest you try looking at the cutting corners. Its fast, easy and any strips will work. Then you could use the bigger pieces you have left for the rest of the hst.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

"Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

10. Thanks Stitches23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Urban Cabin quilt block by Atkinson Designs. M* says it carrys it. It has a more solid version and a stripy version. I made the stripy version. The block is pretty good size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	149342  
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

toggpine - this is cute. I wonder if it's in a Block magazine or tutorial?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be ignorant - but is cutting corners a pattern?