Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow WiP - January 11-17, 2018

Wow, I am STILL not used to typing "2018".

Things are starting to settle down at work, finally. And I've put in some LONG hours over the last couple of weeks (though since I'm on salary, it really doesn't matter).

Finally starting to get some crafting time opening up. I got to the quarter point on "On Ringo Lake". I think I'm going to down size it to throw size, so I'm starting out with half the block units (I only have a handful of the sashing chevrons done) and see what happens when I lay them out.

I'm on the last two Hexis on Set 8 of 10 on Aunt Lottie's Garden. I'm looking forward to moving from EPP to applique on this project.

I finished Block #3 of "It was the 80s" and will post it on my blog on Sunday.

For this next week
    - Work on Set 9 of 10 on the hexis
    - Another block (#4) on "It was the 80s"
    - On Ringo Lake needs to hibernate for a while
    - BINDING....... I got the quilt back from the LAQ the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I need to get the blankety-blank binding on!!!!! (and a label)

How are things in your world????

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP - January 11-17, 2018

Iíve been sewing random scrappy pieces together the last few days. Itís quite addicting and relaxing.

Why do we hate to iron clothes but we are fascinated by a crisp pressed seam on a quilt block?

Tonight I pulled fabrics from my stash for a baby quilt. I started cutting it out but decided to stop.....itís getting late. Late night and rotary cutting usually means mistakes for me.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sewed two rows of the Village together and pinned two more but I was too worn out from watching the Bulls win in double OT to feel very ambitious. The carpet guy comes to measure at one....yaaaaay new carpet....

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a challenge. I am quilting The Bear with two layers of wool batting and a flannel backing. Trying to quilt a curving lines motif was a big mistake. This is very stiff and when I push trying to get it to curve, it pushes back. I need a sewing machine with a bigger throat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3908.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	149338
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    What a challenge. I am quilting The Bear with two layers of wool batting and a flannel backing. Trying to quilt a curving lines motif was a big mistake. This is very stiff and when I push trying to get it to curve, it pushes back. I need a sewing machine with a bigger throat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3908.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	149338
    Yikes, that is a challenge! Do the two battings shift as you go?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimsophia View Post
    Yikes, that is a challenge! Do the two battings shift as you go?
    The two layers of wool batting are not shifting with respect to each other. They are also sticking pretty well to the flannel backing. This is pin basted at about four inch intervals. My biggest problem is how the stiff the assembled quilt sandwich is, and how small the throat is on my machine. I am trying to steer the assembly left and right to get it to curve. It does not want to bend.

It would not have been a problem if I had done straight line quilting.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I can understand why your quilt is called The Bear! I am sure it is going to keep someone very warm when it is finished. I have one quilt with wool batting, only one layer though. I like the fact that it is warm, but also light in weight.

I worked on the memory quilt and finished (maybe) the tops for a set of six placemats. The placemats are jelly roll strips, and I am not sure I like how the colors flow on a few of them. I am thinking of ripping some out and rearranging some strips. I should have put them up on the design board in order to see all of them before piecing - lesson learned.

I'll continue working on the memory quilt, and I have added something new to my January plans - to make some blocks for the Tomas Fire quilts that Preeti posted about. And, I'll make a decision on what to do about those placemats.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wohoo. Went to amazon.com to order a curved shower rod and the Brother PQ1500s was available as a "used like new" warehouse deal. It says it has damaged packaging. That should add 2 more inches of throat space. $490 plus tax. There are five more "used like new" if you want to take a chance.

Crossing my fingers. When I ordered a Singer S16 from amazon on deep sale I got one of the few lemons and had to return it. Please let me get a good one. I have been such a good girl.

12. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, RockinLou thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working on quilting Summer in the Park queen size. I got it sandwiched, stitched in ditch. Binding on - just need to finish hand sewing binding and quilting a motif in the border. With this ugly weather set for the weekend, I should have this one finished.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

14. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Today was the first day to sew since before Christmas!! First up was a pencil case for DD - simple right? Wrong made loads of silly mistakes so it took me 2 HOURS to make!!! DD loves it, I don't!!

Moved on to a bag we are making at the craft group. It uses a charm pack but I decided to use scraps - differed about for a couple of hours choosing, cutting and sewing 32 5" squares. Sewed half together but could I get the points to match? NO!!!

Decided to make a pouch for small templates using Jenny's tutorial - half way there but had to stop for the evening meal, then DD popped in for an hour for a natter - too late by then to return to sewing. Hope I get some free time tomorrow.

16. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post