Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Here...Starch Question

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the world of quilting, and I have a question about starch. I've been watching a lot of YouTube Videos and they talk about heavily starching pieces before you work with them. I am making quilts for my parents for Mother's and Father's Day, and I am wondering if I should wash the starch out of them before I gift them. Thanks so much!!!
    ~Emilee

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Here...Starch Question

Personally, I use "Best Press" and I do not wash them before gifting.

3. Thanks AuntieEm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That's entirely up to you! Some people like the crisp look of fresh fabric, others prefer the more homey look and feel of the quilt after it's been through the wash and shrunk a little.

That having been said, I tend to get batting fuzzies on my quilt during the FMQ process, so I usually prewash mine before gifting them.

5. Thanks AuntieEm thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emilee! Welcome to the Forum & you have come to a great place. You will find warm, helpful people who will give you their opinion, experiences & advice.
    I starch all my pieces heavily when I am making a quilt. I also starch the backing before I make my quilt sandwich. By the time I'm through piecing, quilting & binding the quilt it really needs a run through the washer and dryer.
    Have fun making your parents' quilts!

7. Thanks AuntieEm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, use Best Press not starch. I always wash quilts before gifting.....mainly to remove any oils from handling, dust from sitting around or tumbling on the floor as I quilt, and to ensure the colors don’t bleed. I like the crinkled look, but I just think it needs a washing after it is finished.

9. Thanks AuntieEm thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much! You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find this answer on the internet. I'm so glad I found this forum. I am already learning a lot reading through the different threads
    ~Emilee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Emilee, sounds like you got some good advice....I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum form Michigan!

Attachment 149296

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Emilee! I use Best Press and I don't wash before I send them out. But I do put a couple of color catchers in with the quilts for their first washing.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum! I use starch and/or Best Press ... I do wash my quilts (with color catchers) before I gift them ... like the crinkled look and to make sure all looks good!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ohio! I always wash quilts with color catchers before gifting them -- mostly so there won't be any surprises for the recipient when they wash the quilt. I figure if the quilt is already crinkled, they won't wonder if it was supposed to do that. As SuzyQue said, it removes dust, oils, etc., it may have picked up in the quilting process.