Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: tell us about the new system

Hey all, happy to chat about this stuff.

We have a few new things this year. One is an automated shipping bit of hardware, some robots that weigh a package, put a label on, and push it out the door. That was a big win for us, as we ship a lot of packages, but took about two months of training on, and it's cooking along great now (it went in before the summer)

The other new system going in is an ERP system, pretty much it's the software that lets us do things like have 10 white charm packs in 14 different quilt shops and in the picking bin in the warehouse, and a big box of them in the back stock location in the warehouse, and another 10 on the way to us from Moda. It's a really complicated bit of software that has to integrate with our accounting systems, and payroll and website and so on.

So it was a big gnarly beast. It was supposed to go live in March to replace the home grown system I'd built over the course of years with our crack squad of developers. Our system we built was pretty good, but we'd lose an order now and then and had no idea, there were just to many cracks in the system to feel like we ever had it fully whipped. So we needed the upgrade and all the improvements it'd bring. We kept pushing it back from march because we never quite felt ready, but we needed it bad! We were overselling products, losing things, it was getting hairy.

So finally in November, we bit the bullet and jumped. We knew it'd be tough, but we felt we had to jump or we never would. As we dove in, we had a hiccup where we had about a weeks worth of work get mixed up (old system thought it had been done, in fact it had, but the new system didn't) - so we got about a week behind right out the gate, and that hurt, we had to skip our big black friday sale, and pretty much everything else while we tried to get caught up.

Today we're still a bit behind, a couple of days, we had to refund a bunch of orders that the old system had inventory on, but when the new one went live it didn't and those orders just hung there. It was kind of the bulge in the snake, once we got that big barrier processed, we're getting back to business as usual, but it was a dirty one.

So you've got us on the comeback right now, we're getting faster every single day. More orders will go out today than yesterday.

Also, we are obviously developing fabric cutting robots, but those take much longer to build, for now we are human driven. If anyone wants to move to Hamilton, we have like 20 openings right now, come on and help us! - http://bit.ly/2CYeDx6

2. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
    It might just be me but it seams the DD are items that don't require yardages, scissors, storybook, Cake Mix papers, more kits, etc. Might just be just a way of catching up on orders. I bought the E-cards when on sale but there has been nothing to purchase that I'm interested in. I do need more of the last yardage I ordered because it vanished before my eyes and only got 1 yard. Will have to go check on the status of that as I was advised it is shipped. The other thread complaint (not sure of name) only got a tape measure and not her jelly roll. It all makes me nervous to order anything.

EDIT: just checked my order. Great an item I had cancelled says it was shipped. Now I'm paying for something I don't need. I had ordered the calendar and then received one for Christmas so I contacted M* to please cancel the calendar as I tried to do it myself and it wouldn't allow me to cancel it myself. I received a confirmation that it was cancelled and I checked my order and yes it did say cancel. I don't understand. Sure I can send it back but paying for postage will probably be more then I paid for the calendar.
    I think you just got a freebie. If you got the confirmation it was cancelled, your money went back on your card, this is the new systems way of giving hugs?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill. I think this is information we all wanted to know. Sounds like you almost have it licked. We will stay tuned and when the DD says, no more shipping delays...we' will all be ready to use our gift certificates and inundate you with our orders. We love you M*.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As Bill Nye would know, knowledge is power, and a good status report is better than sitting around here whining. As far as moving to Hamilton to help out, as much as I'd love to, I think DH, DS#1 and 3 grand children would all have a hissy if we moved.

Drop by and let us know how things are going. You all are appreciated.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, I was just going to post the link to the job openings page. I think it pretty much shows how hard M* is working on this whole problem. I kind of take it to heart when I see people, here and other social media, complain. I know this is all growing pains, and if we just hang in with them it'll all smooth out in no time. I've sorta held out ordering the last month or so until this happens, saves them and me a little stress!
    ~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

8. Thanks tamsterg7, grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update ... hoping the kinks are worked out soon!

10. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to think of it this way-
    Each person is upset about their own personal experience with M*.
    M* is upset a thousand times over because each individuals problem is theirs too and they know the longer it takes to repair the more money and good will they stand to lose. So they surely are trying as hard as they can to rectify.

12. Thanks tamsterg7, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Just an idea:
    what about anouncing the average days until the shipping will be done? This would help customers to decide if they can wait. Mostly each online store mentions the time until goods are ready for delivery.

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t put my 2 cents in much, but I want to suggest one thing. If they changed the way the DD is chosen please change it back. It used to be irresistible more times than not. Now I find it easy to pass up. Jenny taught me to quilt and I will always be a loyal customer. Goodness knows I check M* before anyone else.

16. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

But, Annababy, maybe that's been the point. Maybe the DD's are just there as a placeholder until this shipping thing gets settled. I agree that there was a time when I couldn't resist the DD but for the past three months, not so much. I did by the gift cert. because I know that one of these days shazamm! I willhave to have it, but right now, if it were irresistible, we would all order and then the bog wouldn't get fixed. So, lets all be patient, use up what we have (yeah , right) and save up for the BIG sale.

18. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post