Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tools for making HST

Does anyone have the Wonder Cut ruler and how do you like it? It is sitting in my cart at Connecting Threads and I can't make up my mind. It is $18. I actually wanted to get triangle papers but they didn't have a product like that. I saw this and thought, hmm this looks interesting. I want to make a quilt that has 20 HST in each block so there's gonna be lots of HST in my future.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tools for making HST

I don't own a HST ruler and want to get one. I've been seeing a lot about the Essential Ruler by Bonnie Hunter and the Easy Angle Ruler by Sharon Hultgren on the Quiltville Blog. Has anyone ever used these, or can someone recommend a good ruler for HST? Wish I could help you with your decision.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson View Post
    I don't own a HST ruler and want to get one. I've been seeing a lot about the Essential Ruler by Bonnie Hunter and the Easy Angle Ruler by Sharon Hultgren on the Quiltville Blog. Has anyone ever used these, or can someone recommend a good ruler for HST? Wish I could help you with your decision.
    I've use the Easy Angle II, but it is not a ruler. It's a clear, lined piece of plastic you tape to your sewing machine. It works great!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to make a bunch of HSTs try the Triangle paper by Primitive Gatherings.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Easy Angle II and also the Thangles (triangle paper)
    both are fast and easy and accurate
    the easy angle II uses squares,
    whereas the Thangles uses 2 large pieces of fabric, sew on the line, cut and tear off paper - it is the most accurate and no waste at all
    Happy Quilting!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you posted this! I saw a HST template/ruler at NancysNotions.com and I really, really want it but I'm not sure if it is worth it. I recently caught the HST bug. I'll check out the ruler you mentioned.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the link for the one I'm considering. It's 19.99. Would welcome feedback on this option from anyone!

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...es+template.do

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    Here's the link for the one I'm considering. It's 19.99. Would welcome feedback on this option from anyone!

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...es+template.do
    I looked at that, gee thanks now I feel like I need to buy both of them!! The main difference as far as I can tell the one from Connecting Threads you cut strips from yardage and the one from Nancy's is for precuts. So I guess it depends what you use more of.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at that, did you notice the sizes of finished HST that it makes? They don't seem to be sizes I would use often.
    My best HST come from making them oversized then trimming to my desired size. I do find them fiddly and intimidating.
    I have a Fons and Porter quarter and half square template that seems to work the best for me but I still like the oversize/trim to fit method for precision.https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...riangles-ruler
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; January 6th, 2018 at 01:25 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bloc loc ruler for a size I would be doing a lot of. They run about $20 each, so I would only buy them as needed.
    Here's why:
    I need reading glasses to line/square up my blocks, because just having the diagonal line can be hard to see, and it takes me at least a couple minutes per block.
    With the loc bloc, I don't have to look at them very hard, and I can put it on a spinning mat and square them up in front of the TV.
    Less eye strain, less back strain, and less time.
    If I use my time/trouble gage of taking the price of a tool and deciding if if saves me the appropriate amount of time, this tool gets a big yes from me.
    I have also use my bloc loc ruler when I needed to fussy cut something that wasn't an HST, because I can use my spinning mat and cut all 4 sides without having to move the ruler.

Now, how do I sew them?
    I had Hubby make me a "Bed mate" that I taped "The angler" sewing guide to. Now, I don't even have to draw the lines on the smaller ones. I haven't tried this with a 10" square yet, but I will.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocketeer_Binding_SetUp_01.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	149227

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocketeer_Binding_SetUp_02.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	149228

11. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post