Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: It's Friday

What wonderful neighbors Ginny has to still come by to help clear the snow. When DH and I couldn't handle snow removable any longer we had a difficult time getting hiring help and then we saw Randy's ad on a local internet forum. He cleared our double driveway, cars. walkways, curbs and threw salt down last night, he said we received 10". Don't know the temp as our outdoor thermometer is covered with snow but I don't care as I'm not going anywhere if I can help it. Like Midge I'm going to make some soup.

Seriously I would go out in a flash to visit my sister Pat in Brooklyn, she had emergency heart surgery yesterday. Sister Carol was there as well as Pat's family and all went well. Pat went to ER early Tuesday morning because she couldn't breath, they found water in her lungs and admitted her for testing. Tests showed she had a dangerous level of blockage and yesterday they operated on her. Surgeon said he's very happy with the results and Pat is doing fine. Although she'll be 66 in March it's difficult for me to comprehend my "baby" sister having heart surgery. Hope they clear the streets in Brooklyn so we can get to see Pat as soon as possible. Both she and sister Carol were such a help and comfort to me when I was ill beginning of last year.

Keep warm everyone and Monique have a great time at the retreat.

2. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy, TMP, Carolnnc, Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well we've broken the record here for the most consecutive number of hours below freezing. Right now it's 22 degrees & the heat pump is headed for a heart attack. I had to go outside twice this morning so I put my coat, scarf & gloves in the dryer & that really helps. We did get a tiny bit of snow Wednesday night & it's still hanging around because of the cold. Lots of my neighbors are having problems with their HVAC systems & frozen pipes.

We have a cat that we discovered in our chicken pen two years ago. She was so small we had to bottle feed her & never did figure out where she came from. About six months ago the foxes started picking off our chickens. We decided not to get anymore since will be moving in the next year. The cat (Annie) was lonely without her tribe so she began to come into the house to check out what was going but we are both allergic to her so we didn't let her stay inside. During the past winters when it was cold DH had a bed, food & litter box for her in the crawl space where the heater is so she'd be warm. When it got really cold outside this year DH started sneaking her in the house. Now he has bought her a cat tower & toys. She is a very sweet & calm cat but I really don't want an animal in the house. Her favorite thing to do is climb into my lap & put her head under my chin which makes me sneeze my head off. Not sure how this will play out but I have a feeling I'm not going to win this game.

Hibernating like an old bear sounds like a good idea with this weather! Hope everyone stays warm.

4. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ginny, that is the sweetest thing that the old neighbor boys came to help. Moniqye, so glad you found the quilts and that you aren't working at the cold post office. Miss May, I will pray for your sisters and CarolynNC, I think the news is having a ball telling us all about how we are breaking records. They are sounding like a broken record. DD in Winston Salem texted a picture to her dad this morning with her in his old Navy PeaCoat. She said she had to bring out the heavy artillery.
    I have 1/3 of the double wedding ring A,B,C,&D's done. Humm....8 hours a day cutting and piecing x 6 days so far. Looks like Another 3 or 4 days for piecing. But I am dreaming of doing a traditional feather quilt pattern....I don't know if I'm up to that skill level , but I think I'll have to go for it.
    I made a double wedding ring about 4 years ago for DS and hand quilted it simply. I sure didn't remember it taking this many hours, but it probably did. I told him last night if he would bring it back, I would try doing some more quilting on it. He said maybe I could do it as a Christmas present next year.
    Yep, its still cold here...headed for 30 today. Heat wave!!

6. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning all,
    This morning my husband is out snowblowing the driveway and walkway, I make him come in every 15 minutes or so to get another pair of warm gloves I've heated up for him. We got about 10-12", they say next week should be back to normal temps for this time of year, I sure hope so. In the meantime I'll be hibernating in the house. Be safe everyone and stay warm.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

8. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning ~ I'm just now getting here. Had a busy morning. The Anasazi beans are on to cook. I do the quick method. Boil them for ~7 min., let them sit for 1 hr., then cook them 2 hrs. Two 1 lb. pkgs. of beans makes 7 freezer containers (1.5 pt.). The only thing I add is salt & some chopped celery. DH can't tolerate spices, onion, etc.

Yest. morning I mixed up my turkey patties. I make enough for 3 wks. In the afternoon I spent 2 hrs. in the cold waiting room at the shop while my car got new rear shocks installed, fixed a rear tire that had a slow leak, & did a wheel alignment. Good thing I had them check the alignment; the front tires were "toed". So that is all taken care of. I drive a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquise. The guy at the shop said the guys were admiring what good condition the car is in -- both the interior & the under carriage.

Today I want to watch the funeral service for fallen sheriff's deputy Zach Parrish who was killed in the line of duty a few days ago. He & other officers were ambushed by a mentally ill veteran. Zach (29 y.o. & father of 2 young girls) was killed & other officers were injured, one critically, even though they were wearing their vests. Zach was a man of integrity & faith; his wife Gracie goes to Bible Study Fellowship. It will be a huge event. A motorcade currently is in progress. The service is at 11 a.m.

I got no sewing done yest. I hope to do more FMQ today on the Kaffe Fassett quilt.

Monique, have a great time on your retreat. Hope the weather moderates soon. I feel for you guys on the east coast who are dealing with the snow & extreme cold. My DIL in MD went in to work today; DS is working from home again. He planned to start work at 6 a.m. so he'd finish early. Ginny, what a blessing your former neighbors came back to help out with the snow removal. We have a volunteer from our church who is our "snow angel". It's a ministry our church has for those who are widows or elderly.

Everyone stay warm!

10. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well the Christmas decorations are down and packed away. I am rather proud of myself I did it all! The house needs a good cleaning. ( I will not let myself sew a thing until its done). The grands are back in school, isn't it strange that they went back on a Friday. I cant figure that one out .

Sandy ( the lab) is mellowing out some. Its not just constant chewing everything in sight and having a case of the dog zoomies through out the house, she actually lays on her bed and sleeps some.

Happy Friday to all and Stay Warm !
    Teresa

12. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy thanked for this post