Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Blizzard Brody!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blizzard Brody!

Well, I went in to work, but didn't stay past 1 p.m. I was able to get quite a bit done, as most of my co-workers were wise enough to stay home. It is really bad out there! Yesterday they were saying 2 - 4" of snow here in Hartford, but by last night they were scrapping that forecast, and by this afternoon when I had to dig my car out of the office parking lot, there was already at least 6 inches on the ground. I'm guessing there's 9 now. And it is bone-chillingly COLD!

I was so surprised to see how many little birds have been at my backyard feeder in the middle of the howling winds and icy cold snow - chickadees, tufted titmice, cardinals... guess they must have been really hungry, but how on earth can they bear the cold?

Hope those of you along the East Coast who are not used to the snow are warm and safe. Please stay inside and don't try to drive in it. Even if you know how, there could be a bunch of crazies out on the road who only think they do!

Got a couple of thank-you notes done, and am headed into the sewing room shortly. DH is taking a well-deserved nap, DS#9 is out shoveling with his uncle's plowing truck, and DD#10 is at DS#3's house, so she can baby-sit if his wife goes into labor. (Could happen any minute now, but we're all hoping to get her past this weather first!)

Not gonna' lie - it's been nice having both my office and my house so quiet today...

Quilty hugs to all of you!

~ Sally

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Blizzard Brody!

The storm was howling here yesterday, just rain in our area, but danged cold for FL. It's still been cold today, well below normal temps. But at least the sun has been shining all day.

I concur, be safe. All the looneys come out just to prove they can do it. I for one was thankful we didn't have anyone slide into the easement that runs behind our house (of course, nobody's picked up the palm tree that was knocked down before Christmas).
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is cold here too in Southeast Fla. Temp didn't get more than 60 today, started out about 38. I should have gone to the grocery,but when I got done with the little catechism job I helped with, traffic was awful and grocery packed. So I put it off for another day....big mistake temp will be near 32 tomorrow morning.
    Feel bad for all those people in the path of that snow storm,and all that can come from it.
    Hunted all over town for bird seed yesterday, finally found some... so the birds have something to eat. Saw the rabbit having some of the seed I tossed on the ground for the doves. Squirrels will be along in a day or so.
    Everybody stay warm and those who have to go be out in the weather stay safe. Prayers the baby waits awhile longer, and no cars etc in the easement. Kathy
    All quilts cat tested and approved.

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My DS#1 lives in MD. They got 4" of snow & it's bitter cold -- into the single digits at night. He teleworked from home today & probably will tomorrow. He commutes into D.C. The traffic & drivers there are terrible, esp. if there is snow or ice. My DIL who works over close to Baltimore did go into work today, but was going to work only part of the day. I think the heaviest snowfall was predicted for New England. We enjoyed a balmy, sunny 56 deg. today here in Colo. I hope everyone is safe & warm.

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how everyone was doing. I have a sister on the Jersey shore. I'll need to email her tomorrow to see how they made out and if they lost their power. I know she did run out early yesterday to stock up on a few things.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WE GOT SNOW! I grew up in Chicago and have been living in coastal North Carolina for 30 years and this satisfies my snow fix. We would usually only get an inch or less every 2 or 3 years. Got about 3 inch layer of snow on everything with a bit of drifting. It sure is pretty.

I'm in my final few days of recuperating from surgery at a time-share condo about 30 miles home. It's heavily treed and is on a 2-laner about 7 miles from the main highway. And to get to the large town 6 miles down the main highway you have to go over 2 miles of bridges over the rivers. Needless to say a majority of the locals stayed home and off the roads and bridges. Schools were cancelled. It should all be clear when I head back home Sunday.

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So far so good, I live on the south shore of Long Island, we got quite a bit of snow, wind was a blowing for sure, which made visability poor. DH will wait till tomorrow when the wind dies down to use the snowblower to clear the driveway and walkway. We are warm and cozy and stocked up with food till we want to venture out. Hope all are well in other areas the storm has hit.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

12. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post