Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Funny/Strange/Weird Christmas Stories

I just love all these stories! I can sure identify with the family bickering, etc. Don't we all have that in our families somewhere. When or children were preschool age, 25 years ago, we lived in Tennessee but or immediate families lived in Wisconsin so every year we would pack up the car with the kids and the presents and drive up north for the holidays. It was so exhausting! My parents and dh parents really never got together at the same time plus dh's parents were divorced, so we had to see his mom and his dad separately. I remember many years of tug of war, both our Moms would plan a big dinner of course for the same night. My Mom especially always made me feel guilty she thought I was spending more time with dh's family than ours. We tried to make things even by spending equal time with each side of the family but it was so hard and nobody was happy! Some times we didn't even try, dh would go to his family with one of the kids and I would go to mine. We even resorted to lying a couple of times about the day we were arriving so we could sneak in a visit to some friends because it was impossible to get away from family for that once our official "visit" began. Eventually we moved back up north and that made it lits easier, but those were a couple of rough years. Now our youngest dd lives out of town 2 hrs away. I don't want her to have to repeat our struggles so I try to be very laid back when she comes to visit and not put any guilt trips on her. And I encourage her to see her old friends.

2. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the stories too. Some sweet, some not so much. I'm torn which type of story to tell, but decided on a sweet one...
    When I was a young lass, my family always had a very tall Christmas tree (10+ footer). Mom was a firm believer in decorating the entire tree with ornaments, including inside the tree and the back side as well, so we had TONS of ornaments. and even several tree toppers that she would switch out during the month of December, which was no small feat considering the size of the tree and that it was already decorated!
    The year that I entered third grade, my family moved onto a houseboat (80 foot long with 3 levels, 5 staterooms (bedrooms) and 3 lounges (living, dining, family room), plus the Pilot House, galley (kitchen), and one head (bathroom)) , so while it had lots of floor space, it didn't have much height on each level, the ceilings were so low that Dad could change lightbulbs without so much as a step ladder, and he was only 5'11'.
    Our first Christmas, Dad went out and bought the tree and when he dragged in on-board Mom took one look and said “It’s too tall, you’ll need to take off at least 3 feet”, Dad says “Well, maybe only 2!”. So back out on the dock he drags the tree and trims off two feet and some of the lower branches, drags it back it, stands it up, and proudly says “See told you only needed two feet off”.
    Mom: “Uhm, honey, the tree isn’t in the stand yet, you need to take off another foot”. Dad: “Well, maybe another 6 inches”, so back out the tree goes for another trimming, put in the stand, back on the houseboat, stood up. Mom: “Told you it needed another foot!”. Dad: “ What do you mean? It fits!”. Mom: “Yes but the top of the tree is touching the ceiling”. Dad: “So?”. Mom: “No room for the Star”. Dad: “(big sigh of resignation) Ok, be right back…” out goes the tree, trimmed yet again, and back on the boat.
    Now the real battle begins, no way will all of Mom’s ornaments fit on this little tree, and the kids are bickering as to which ornaments should grace the tree, and of course Mom and Dad have opinions too. But it was Dad who came up with the solution. He took Mom aside to share his plan. Then told all of us to load up in the truck we had an errand to run. That errand was back to the tree lot, where Dad purchased 3 more trees, smaller than the first one (Dad did learn his lesson lol).
    That year, and for the next two years while we lived on the houseboat, we had 4 Christmas Trees, one in the Living Lounge, one in the Dining Lounge, one in the Family Lounge, and one in the Pilot House, and there was always room for all of Mom’s ornaments.

Welcome aboard the "Big Dipper"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Dipper 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	149199

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Dipper.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	149200
    (that's me on the left in the door way)

4. Thanks auntiemern, Carolnnc, SallyO'Sews, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LOL oh I can see that Caroline!So sweet that your Dad bought more trees too LOL Did you make wreaths from the cutoff bottom of the big tree? Up until this year I use to always buy bigger trees than I needed and did that. Use to make those huge wreaths that would have cost a fortune. It use to make three, one for me and two to give away to my neighbors. Also, this year I succumbed to a fake tree because of my age.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Loving the stories. What I do remember are bits and pieces of different Christmas's past. One year like one of Sally's children I begged my mother for some money to buy our 4 cousins Christmas gifts. Their mother (Aunt Mary) was my godmother and she always had a nice gift for me and a small one for my brother and sister so I wanted to get a small gift for each of our cousins. How I labored in the 5 & 10 for over an hour choosing their gifts.

Early in 1940's we were living in a newly built house with a fireplace. My father choose a tree too tall for the living room so he cut the top off and they squished the topper on as best they could. I was so excited about having a fireplace just like the Christmas stories I had read that I got one of my brother's socks and one of mine and anchored them on the mantle with some knickknacks. One night it was snowing lightly when I went to bed. I woke up during early morning hearing the sound of hooves and jingle bells that I knew that it had to be Santa and his sled. Looked out the window and saw sled tracks in the snow. Boy was I excited so iI ran downstairs and was surprised there were no gifts under our tree. In the morning when I told my mother about this she told me Christmas was a week away and what I heard and saw was the milkman making his deliveries.
    Last edited by MissMay; January 4th, 2018 at 07:45 PM.

8. Thanks auntiemern, Carolnnc, Cokie, SallyO'Sews, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    Funny story. I'm wondering if your MIL started it years ago and is still waiting for someone to figure out she doesn't have to be the only cook in the house. Kind of one of those light bulb moments for the family.

We had 5 girls in our family growing up so naturally when holidays came we got dish washing duty. On Christmas I never had to do the holiday dishes because it was also my birthday. :-) I liked that.
    I'm one of 5 girls too Carrie - where are you - I'm the middle sister

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carol, I was the second oldest and black sheep of the family. I know, someone needs that position :-) Then I realized that it probably wasn't a bad thing...considering my family. My sister Karen was born in January and I was born Christmas. Both the same year. When they signed me up at a Catholic School for first grade the head nun told my mother that was IMPOSSIBLE. I wonder what math she learned in school LOL

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

12. Thanks Carolnnc, Sandy Navas, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    Carol, I was the second oldest and black sheep of the family. I know, someone needs that position :-) Then I realized that it probably wasn't a bad thing...considering my family. My sister Karen was born in January and I was born Christmas. Both the same year. When they signed me up at a Catholic School for first grade the head nun told my mother that was IMPOSSIBLE. I wonder what math she learned in school LOL
    Didn't the nun know about Irish Twins? You know you can never argue with a nun but I bet you tried to often, LOL!

14. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a news brief this week where a woman gave birth to twins - one in 2017 and one in 2018 . . . I have relative twins - one born in March 31 and the other April 1 . . .

Dad used to say the first baby could come any time after marriage, but usually the others took 9 months . . .

As long as they were loved and cared for, who cares when they were born?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

16. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, we lived in Maryland. It was fun and there was snow and lovely trees. We collected pine cones and put them on our tree. They weren't open yet, but we didn't know. One evening, we heard this popping around the Christmas tree. My mom, always the cautious one, thought it was the Christmas light shorting out and about to cause a fire. She jumped up and headed to the tree and started pulling the plugs from the outlet. I'll always remember her backside as she bent over wildly searching for the outlet. Satisfied that she saved us from a certain fire, she sat back down on the sofa only to hear the popping again! We searched and searched and finally found the culprit. The pine cones were opening up in the dry heat of our house and they create a popping noise when they do so.

It was a tradition for us to find new pine cones and give them to my mom and thank her for saving us from fire.

18. Thanks Carolnnc, pcbatiks, Cokie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    When I was a kid, we lived in Maryland. It was fun and there was snow and lovely trees. We collected pine cones and put them on our tree. They weren't open yet, but we didn't know. One evening, we heard this popping around the Christmas tree. My mom, always the cautious one, thought it was the Christmas light shorting out and about to cause a fire. She jumped up and headed to the tree and started pulling the plugs from the outlet. I'll always remember her backside as she bent over wildly searching for the outlet. Satisfied that she saved us from a certain fire, she sat back down on the sofa only to hear the popping again! We searched and searched and finally found the culprit. The pine cones were opening up in the dry heat of our house and they create a popping noise when they do so.

It was a tradition for us to find new pine cones and give them to my mom and thank her for saving us from fire.
    I love your story! I had no idea that pine cones made a popping sound when they opened, and I grew up in Colorado!