• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pcbatiks
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2012

Jumping On The Organizing Band Wagon!

Barb, inspired me to get going on re-organizing my stash. I added my ziploc bags of scraps, sorted by color, into my boxes of yardage fabrics. So hopefully that will work better for me. All similar color fabrics will be together. Here's a couple of pictures to show my fabric storage. The boxes are stored in a closet in my sewing area.

I went through a box of assorted fabric stuff and found a bag with teeny, tiny scraps from a previous quilt project. I had to laugh and told myself that I can't be the only one who has done this............can I ?? I threw out the tiny bits and kept a few better pieces for random crazy quilt blocks.

So.......I hope Barb & me aren't the only ones on this organizing wagon! So who else is with us? Please share pictures and stories of your progress!

Here are first pictures. I will post a few more as I good through things!

P1013483.jpg P1013484.jpg
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?
  • toggpine
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2009

Re: Jumping On The Organizing Band Wagon!

I would love to be in that boat!
    I guess I am, kind of. Instead of my fabric stash though, I'm cleaning, decluttering, and painting the inside of the house. I have made it through the living, dining, entry and hall ways. I have the family photos left to clean and rehang from that. Next up is the kitchen and the two bathrooms. If I can swing it, the master bedroom too.
    Once I complete that, then perhaps I dig back into the sewing room!
    Good luck to all of you who are working on this!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

That looks awesome! I'm decluttering my house too. I gave a bunch of Christmas stuff away and did the kitchen today. Fabric will come soon!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• grammaterry
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

That looks great Its too cold in my sewing room to go out there let alone organize. So I brought a sewing machine into my kitchen and am piecing . Looks like it will be at least another week of this icy cold weather
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Oh look at all the pretty fabrics. Don't you just love getting everything organized again.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Lori63
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2015

I'm working on organizing my sewing room also. I've cleaned, dusted and picked things up.

I've organized all my ribbon. I took the ribbon off all the round cardboard things they come on and put it around 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch cardboard, it takes up much less room this way.

Last year I got a Silhouette and have accumulated a lot of vinyl and other stuff, I got that all organized, well sort of...I need to find a cabinet and a place to put the cabinet!

Now I'm working on my stash. So far I'm cutting 2 1/2 inch squares and strips. Everything else I'm leaving as big as I can. I'm folding it by a method I saw a while back. She folds it a certain way then folds it around a ruler so all the pieces are the same size. She then secured the fabric with a couple bobby pins. Hopefully, it works out like I'm envisioning. I worked all morning and haven't even put a dent in it...I think it will take me a while!
            Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

• pcbatiks
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

Cathy, it doesn't have to be sewing organization. The work you are doing is much more difficult. I'm always impressed with all the things you accomplish.

Lori, it will be worth it when you have all your fabrics like you want them.

My biggest challenge will be getting paper work sorted and under control.
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• TMP
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

I pulled out all my holiday fabric and I'm sorting it. I have to get the tree down and the house clean then I'm going to tackle my mess. I have no idea what I have.

Your fabric looks so nice and neat. Zip lock bags are the best . How did we ever live without them.
                Last edited by TMP; January 1, 2018, 07:18 PM.
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

• jjkaiser
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2013

I don't have too big of a stash so it isn't a very big mess even when I have been pawing through it looking for stuff. But I love how yours looks all neat and organized. There's something just so nice about seeing all those pretty colors next to each other. I have shoeboxes and shoeboxes full of loose photographs that I hope to get organized before I die!
                  Jocelyn
                  South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• toggpine
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
                    Cathy, it doesn't have to be sewing organization. The work you are doing is much more difficult. I'm always impressed with all the things you accomplish.

Lori, it will be worth it when you have all your fabrics like you want them.

My biggest challenge will be getting paper work sorted and under control.
                    It wouldn't be so difficult if I had done it sooner!
                    As far as getting stuff done - I am flummoxed as to how quickly some of these folks can put together a quilt!

I do agree, once your work space (which ever space that is) is organized to your liking, it makes working in there much easier.

Ugh Pam! Paperwork is the bane of our existence. Good luck to you on THAT task!
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Simply Quilting
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2013

I started last fall organizing the house with the goal of decluttering as much as possible and getting what is left organized again. I plan to go through the whole house during 2018. Of course, some areas are easier to declutter than others.

At the end of November was when I organized my fabric stash. Any of the fabrics that were to go together for quilts or other things were put in a ziplock bag together. So I now have my own quilting "kits". The fabric was then put in a numbered tote. At the same time I typed everything excel spreadsheets organized by what it is quilt kits, panels, table runners, table toppers, aprons, tea towel projects, toys, misc, each of the children have a spreadsheet page, pillowcases, projects my mom wants me to make. If there is currently no plan for the item it went into other categories - layercake, charm, minicharm, jelly roll, fat quarters, yardage, minky, scraps and patterns. I have just now started organizing the patterns.

Here are pictures of the before pile. I hauled everything to our living room to make it easier to sort.

Now it is just finding the time to sew.

Fabric organization Nov 2017.JPG

Fabric organization Nov 2017 pic 2.JPG

Comment

• Juliet Taylor
                        Missouri Star
                        • Nov 2014

After Christmas I sooooo need to reorganize everything because in the rush I started putting fabric everywhere except in its original place. Yesterday I wanted to organize something but then I was itching to sew so I got totally distracted! Darn it!

But.... if I wait for Friday I will have a 3 days weekends and I already told hubby we're going to take down Christmas decorations and I'm going to need his help while I organize my stuff (he's great at choosing music as a background while we do something).

I hope I'll manage to achieve the order in my stuff I need!!!
                        My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

• AMG
                          The Guild President
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Lori63 View Post
                          She folds it a certain way then folds it around a ruler so all the pieces are the same size. She then secured the fabric with a couple bobby pins.
                          OMG the bobby pins sound fantastic! D9 you have a link to the video? I'm using the comic book cardboard now (and keep the fabric in an Ikea KALLAX shelf), but the ends are loose and it bugs me, lol. I also keep thinking there has to be a better way to store my yardage. I don't have a LOT but I like to be able to see it all.

Comment

• Bubby
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2011

I believe that organizing is good for your soul. Throughout my quilting years I have found that my stash system has changed several times. I remember when it all fit in a shoebox and I also remember the first tote. Now we need to build an annex to house it!

I also put together 'kits" for machine embroidery. I have fabrics sorted in containers to making gingerbread items; turkeys (remember those?); banners; zip bags' coasters and Christmas items. If the notion hits me, I don't have to tear my fabric shelves apart looking for little pieces for embroidery.

I mostly sort fabric by colors on my shelves but I have separate shelves for 1930's prints, batiks, solids and juvenile prints. I almost need a shelf for scottie dog and sock monkey prints!

Collecting our stash is a work of art in progress.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Star lover
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2016

Oh Barb, you're so sew right. I organized a few months ago, I think it could use a touch up. You're also right about how our style/tastes change. I hadn't organized for years before doing so and I can't remember how many times I thought, "why in the world did I buy this?" So those are easy to get rid of. Someone else's treasure! But in so saying.....I need an annex!

Comment

Working...
                              X