Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloc Loc Ruler

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bloc Loc Ruler

Jenny uses the Bloc Loc ruler for her newest quilt tutorial. I checked it out and it's a bit pricey, but might be worth it if I used if frequently. Does anyone have it, and would you recommend it? I have so many rulers and templates - I don't want another one if it's something I won't use more than once.

Thanks!
    Cokie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bloc Loc Ruler

I have the 6 1/2 inch and use it anytime I make half square triangles. I really like it.
    Bernice

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are pricey too. So I improvised.

Using a square ruler I simply placed two layes of painters tape along the 45 degree angle line (corner to corner) and it was that simple.

4. Thanks Claire Hallman, bubba, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hesitated for quite some time before buying the BlocLoc. I hate single use utensils. But this ruler is worth it. I bought the 6 1/2" ruler too and use it a lot.

But shop around. I bought mine for $26.50, but at a LQS it was selling for $29.95.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I gave mine away. I just didn't like it although practically everyone just raves about it like it is the best thing ever invented. You do have to concentrate on how you are using it because yes it is entirely possible to line the ditch of the ruler up on the wrong side of your seam and ruining your block in the process -- maybe I am the only one who made this mistake??! I have better luck squaring up with my creative grids ruler, I think it is easier. They are also expensive tools but if you don't have either one I would invest in a large CG, 12 or 12.5". I use it ALL the time, almost as much as my 6x24" ruler. Watch the video for Bloc Loc a few times first if you really want to get it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 6 1/2 inch'er and will be using it a lot. I did make the mistake of placing the low part of the seam on the wrong side once. Now I have a bit of tape to remind me and haven't had a problem since.

Now I'm making smaller sized HST and QST's and am very seriously considering getting the next size down - the same size jenny uses in the video. Smaller may be better and eliminate readjusting the larger ruler so much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hesitate for a long time before I finally purchased a 6-1/2 inch bloc loc ruler. I had never had a problem with squaring up HST's so I just didn't think I would use the bloc loc ruler much. I was wrong. I use the bloc loc ruler EVERY time I trim HST's. It just makes the job go so much faster. I don't have to pay so much attention to getting the lines on the ruler lined up with the block. I like tools that save me time!

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 6-1/2" and use it all the time to square up triangles. I really like it and it makes the squaring up much quicker for me.
    Cindy

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Something I will be thinking of, I bet it would really help me with my visual difficulties.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The points on my HST triangles come out perfect the first time when I use my home made bloc loc ruler. I made my own by using Scotch Reusable strips instead of several layers of painters tape. I placed the tape on the 45 degree line of my triangle, and a small piece on the corners so it would not rock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3888.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	149033

As my eye sight degrades I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by DeniseSm; December 30th, 2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.