Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question The dreaded quilt police

No matter how long we have all been quilting, someone may offer help and advice. I recall in my early years of quilting I was chastised by our local elders in the quilting realm for using fabric for my backing that was also used as piecing for the front. After many years of never hearing of this again, I now know this was an opinion not a rule.

What ridiculous things have the quilt police told you? We want the juicy details for a good laugh!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

2. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The dreaded quilt police

I once had someone tell me I should only use cotton thread when quilting and not ruin my quilt with polyester thread.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was told not to mix batiks and non batiks in the same quilt because they are too different in texture and feel.

I do it all the time!!!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say, any mention of quilt police on this forum usually brings out some really strong feelings! Just sayin'!

I think most of us say, " do whatever floats your boat!" "go with the flow", " your quilt, your choice!" " finished is better than perfect!" ( Jenny says that!).

Guilds that espouse making show quilts have some rules based on what judges look for. If you are building a show quilt, you might heed some "police" rules, but if you are making a snugly for a family or friend, take all the liberties you want! Mix threads, fabrics, throw away the measuring tapes, it will be loved just the same!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; December 29th, 2017 at 01:06 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've been told I shouldn't use Walmart fabric, polyester thread, bed sheets as backing, or piece batting together. For these and all other quilting infractions I've committed, I should be under the jail not in it. Shame on me. Kathy
    All quilts cat tested and approved.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I sew over pins. Only when taking them out would shift the fabric and I always hand crank over them.

I quilt with whatever thread I have on hand that looks good. I think shiny embroidery thread looks great on some quilts.

I remember when my Aunt (on my father's side) and my grandmother (mother's mother) would get in an argument about what should go between the layers. Never heard of batting back then. My grandmother would put a sheet in between and my Aunt would put a wool blanket.
    Vonnie

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, giig21 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody has said anything to me, but I never met quilter. I just hear the stories from you ladies.

I was told not to sew over pins growing up, but I did it anyway. Funny, one time I had a machine that advertised it could do that. I guess there are a lot of sewists out there that don't want to pull out pins.

Lorie

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took my long arm certification class yesterday. They were quite agog when I crossed over my quilt lines to make the square spiral, as taught by Angela Walters. One person actually gasped aloud. They said thanks to the quilt police they could not break that conditioning.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

"Use starch or Best Press." I hardly ever use either! Not a starcher.
    "Don't steam." I steam everything. All the time!
    "Squaring Up." I Square up each quilt block as I go. I Never squared up a finished quilt before binding! Who would even notice???!
    I try to get the flattest corner possible. If that means mitering on one side and flat folded on the back so what???
    Quilt police you can come and get me now.

15. Thanks Juliet Taylor, SuzanneOrleansOntario, giig21 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

jjkaiser, I'm coming up to you with my get out of jail free card. LOL Whenever I look at someone else's quilt, I remember what my mom used to say. "If you are going to comment and don't really care for the whole quilt/project--find something that you do admire and comment on that" That saying has served me well. I don't usually put my quilts out there for criticism and if the "police" come at me, I take it with a grain of salt, it flavors my opinions of how I did.

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post