Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scraps after snowballing - What do you do with them?

Going there tomorrow. I'll try to remember. Its always on his bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cv quilter View Post
    Terry, if you ever find the picture, I'd love to see your quilt. Years ago I made our son a log cabin quilt with a flannel backing. It was one of my very first quilts (I think that's why I love the log cabin, the first 3 or 4 quilt I made were LCs) . It was NOT perfect, the fabrics were not pretty, but he loved it. DS had that quilt from the time he was 13 or so and well after he was married for 12 years or so....it became threadbare, he and his wife used it to snuggle in, cover up they babies with, wrap up in when they were sick, The seams ripped out, the fabrics tattered, they would bring it to me and ask me to repair it.. I think your GS is pretty special to see your work of love as a treasure. If your GS still has it, get a pic of it. I think that's pretty special for him to love your quilt....it obviously is a special quilt because YOU made it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are excellent pieces to make pot holders. I recently gifted a pot holder that had 132 pieces. If you sew your triangles as you go, they will stay mated. I made the mistake of not doing this before and then they never got sewn and became very randomly scattered in my scrap tote.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Keep them you can use as corner stones or blocks a on borders. Also good for appliqué.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

4. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to keep them and will sew them together tonight. But then I've had another idea. I will probably have to piece the backing to make it wider. I think I'll use them and some other left-over strips to make a backing insert. I've never done it but I think it would work.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For the Xs and Os quilt that I'm making (and it's the charity quilt we made at the retreat too) I decided to sew the extra seam and use that for a border. I don't know if you recall seeing the two quilts that my quilting bee did, but they used those extra pieces and it really looks cool. I'm still doing mine, but I'm excited about having a cool border made from scraps. Usually my borders are plain strips, but not this time.

But it IS a lot of work. I would consider saving them for a border or filling a dog bed with them. Either one is good!

7. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good ideas on how to use those scraps. I started saving all scraps 2.5 years ago. I have several sizes of squares and rectangles, and a very large bag of pieces that couldn't be cut down. Those pieces are meant for cat beds - if I ever get around to making them! But, now I know what to do with what would have been triangle scraps as well. I really like the idea of using them for a border. (Wish I had known about this when I made my grandson's quilt a few years ago.)
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Give a glue stick, piece of paper, and scraps to a child to make a picture - or foam shapes instead of paper. Sequins and other baubles always add to the fun. They take the pictures home, I rarely have any small scraps after a rainy day!
    Maggie

As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

10. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    Lots of good ideas on how to use those scraps. I started saving all scraps 2.5 years ago. I have several sizes of squares and rectangles, and a very large bag of pieces that couldn't be cut down. Those pieces are meant for cat beds - if I ever get around to making them! But, now I know what to do with what would have been triangle scraps as well. I really like the idea of using them for a border. (Wish I had known about this when I made my grandson's quilt a few years ago.)
    For those who want to make a pet bed, take an old t-shirt, turn it wrong side out and sew the bottom and the armholes shut. Then put it on a hanger and hang next to your cutting table. When it's full, sew the neckline shut and give to a needy pet.

12. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

One of my quilts had little 1 1/2” triangles part way around the border, then stars. Enlarge my photo to see it. It was a good way to use snowball trimmings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27E463AC-E1A7-448B-997A-F804AF9151A1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	148971

14. Thanks lots2do thanked for this post